Evinrude generations question

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just trying to get a good idea of the major differences between the 70s era 'rudes. I have an opportunity to pick up a '78 55 horse 'rude with controls that doesn't currently have spark. This motor doesn't have tilt/trim which I'd prefer but its not a deal breaker. I also found a '72 65 horse 'rude with controls that supposedly does run good with working t/t. Would I be gambling on going with the older model '72 vs the '78 model? Just trying to get a handle on maintenance ,etc on these engines. These are fresh water engines and one of them may be going on my 17 ft aluminum fishing boat.

Also, could I get the same job done pushing a roughly 1200 lb aluminum fishing boat with say a smaller 35 or 40 horse instead? Is the gain in fuel economy worth it to go with a little smaller engine of this generation ?

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Evinrude generations question

The only issue with the '72 65 hp is that is probably a hydro-electric shift. Those systems can work flawlessly if maintained properly. On the other hand, if the shifting system fails, replacement parts are very difficult to come by. Also, a lot of parts are not interchangable with other model years, as opposed to the 78 which could possibly have interchangable parts with model years '73 through '78.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agreed, I'd stick with the '78.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah I don't think I will go any older than the late 70s at this point. So many choices out there though.

Oldyellow71

Seaman Apprentice

I had a 73 65hp with the hydro elec shift. If anything happens in the lower unit u r screwed as noone make those parts anymore. You will have to search c-list and find one for sale with a bad head or something and pray that lower unit works! Also even if the lower unit is working, it can be a big pain to change the water pump because you have to feed the wires for the sol through a little tube.