Evinrude Fuel Pump

Bryant Davis

Cadet
Hello all..<br /><br />I have a '85 90hp Evinrude that originally had the VRO system on it. Ever since I have owned the boat, the VRO system has been disconnected and I have manually mixed the oil and gas. Now it's time for a fuel pump replacement (boat misses at WOT, comes back to life when bulb is pumped). My question is this...what part(s) will I need to install a regular (non-VRO) fuel pump on this engine? Any special things I should know?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Bryant

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Evinrude Fuel Pump

I would carefully check all fuel lines, filter, tank venting, anti-syphon valve and couplings before condeming the VRO pump. Its known to have a very reliable fuel pump.....

buckshot

Cadet

I just removed the vro from my 86 johnson 60 hp. I bought the fuel pump ($45 -not a vro pump)for the commercial grade engine (I think all the commercial engines are non-vro). I had to have a different bracket (made mine because the one you buy is $30). The whole process took less than an hour and I did it with the boat in the water.

I have the VRO and only using it as fuel pump.(mixing oil and gas and have oil line plugged) Started having problems and just bought and installed a kit in the VRO for less than $40.00 on a 1986 60 hp. Some people will tell you the VRO is not servicable and must be replaced but they do have kits for repair. Works great!<br />Bombardier part #'s 0436095 and 0435921.

Tumbleweeds

Cadet

I just replaced my old VRO pump on my '85 70 hp Evinrude with the non-VRO commercial pump for $50. The mechanic I talked to said a lot of guys don't even use a bracket to mount it, just lay it on the motor tray. I wouldn't recommend that, however, replacing the pump was *very* simple. Three lines and zip-tie style hose clamps. My VRO was no-repairable. I hear that later models are. Very worth replacing.

Bryant Davis

Cadet

A little more info...The two times I noticed the motor bogging were on short runs when the motor was cold. Pumping the bulb did fix the problem, although the bulb felt rather firm. Sunday I took the boat out and had the engine running most of the day. I noticed that when the engine was hot (fully warmed up) the problem was gone.<br /><br />Does this still sound indicitave of the fuel pump? (BTW- I did check vent, hoses, cleaned filter, etc.)<br /><br />-Bryant