Evinrude FRUSTRATION!

Paul Witt

Seaman
Ok guys, here's my latest problem with my 98 Evinrude 115.<br />It's becoming harder and harder to start. Once it does start, I have to let it idle for quite some time before I can put it in gear, or it will bog dow and die when I give it some gas. After I let it idle, it seems to clear it's self and it will run just fine. If I stop for a few minutes, I have to start all over again, very hard to start and let it idle for awhile. <br />I've changed the VRO pump, rebuild the carbs, and the primer bulb gets stiff after a few pumps. I've also changed all the plugs. <br />Any suggestions would be helpful.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude FRUSTRATION!

OK... What model # do you have???

Paul Witt

Seaman

115 spl. <br />How would I determine if this was a power pack problem or a fuel problem?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

How have you narrowed it down to those two?

bola

Recruit

HEY HATTERS JUNKIE I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM WITH MY 70 HP. JOHNSON IF U COME UP WITH A REMIDEY PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS

Paul Witt

Seaman

Thanks Bola, I'm not getting much help here though. I might just check it in to the local boat doctor in the morning.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

also check your plug gap . or change to a different type plug or brand .sage

Paul Witt

Seaman

Update on this.<br />The stalling seems to have been misadjusted floats.<br /><br />The oil leak....Cracked block :( <br />I need some help here from people in the industry. I brought this boat in to the shop last fall because it was not idleing correctly. They found a scored cylinder from a broken piston ring. They wanted to sell me an entire powerhead but said they could rebuild that cylinder, but with no warranty. I opted for the rebuilding of the cylinder. It never leaked oil before I brought it in for the cylinder problem, but has been leaking ever since. They have looked at it twice and only this last time, did they find the cracked block.<br />My thoughts are that they must have cracked this during the disassembly or assembly of the engine during the cylinder problem. Of course, they are not willing to pay for this.<br />Any thoughts out there? Do you think I should sue them?

bola

Recruit

hey hatters dude went to local boat shop and got some help with my problem the first thing to look at is warm the engine then pull all three spark plugs out do a compression checkon each cylinder make sure u have at least 100lbs. of pressure on each cylnder and that all cylinders are within 10lbs. of each other. if the engine has ever overheated u may have scored a cylinder.this will cause your fuel pump to become weak when the engine gets warmed up because of low compression meaning the boat is not able to work the v.r.o at full its capacity thats why when you give it gas to get up on plane the demand fo fuel to do so isnt there the v.r.o isnt pumping enough fuel bucause of the low compression problem not enough vacume to work the pump.if the compression is good on the cylinders wich mine was i had 125lbs.in each then the fuel pump is not woking i took the vro pump off my boat and through it in the trash where it belongs. went to the local boat store and bought a strait fuel pump got rid of the oil injection system put the new fuel pump on mixed me some 50:1gas up in my tank and my boat runs fine actually just dandy.this was a month long problem for me and i almost blew a head gasket myself trying to figure it out if u decide to go this route dont forget to mix your fuel. good luck bola

Paul Witt

Seaman

Thanks Bola, the engine is running fine now, but the shop "patched" the cracked block. I think they need to step up to the plate, and replace the powerhead for me. What does everyone think?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If the 'patch' was a weld done properly, it is probably OK.