Evinrude Fisherman 5402B operating

bbc0

Cadet
Hi,
I recently purchased a Fisherman 5402B outboard but have no idea how to operate it. I has a pull out choke and a rotary switch alongside it that I am not familiar with. On the tiller it has several obliterated words. I think one says change or some like that. Does anyone know about these motors? If so could you give me starting instructions to get me going until my manual arrives? Thanks,
Barry

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude Fisherman 5402B operating

A 5402 is a 1964 5.5hp. The rotary knob is the low speed fuel mix control and should not really be messed with.
To start, make sure it is in neutral, pull out the choke, and pump the primer bulb on the fuel line until firm. Set the throttle about half way up. Pull.
The lower unit needs to be submerged in a barrel of water to keep from burning out the impeller.

nwcove

Admiral

the "rotary" button next to the choke should be your lean/rich adjustment. the tiller would have siad some thing like .....stop, slow, shift, start, fast. ( once you get used to running your motor, those directions on the tiller handle wont ever get looked at, you will just know how far to turn it for cold start, warm start etc.)

bbc0

Cadet

Thanks tx1961whaler. Any idea then for a starting position for the low speed fuel mix control. I tried what you suggested but nothing so far.

nwcove

Admiral

how long has it been since your motor has ran? you may need to do some general maintenance to get it fired up. have a gander at the top secret files at the beginning of the forum! lotsa good info there.

nwcove

Admiral

:facepalm:eek:ops....sorry, the top secret file is at the top of the johnson evinrude forum!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The position of the low speed mix really won't affect whether it tries to start or not; it only affects the low speed near idling operation. If the knob mechanism has not been messed with, then set it halfway through it's range.

bbc0

Cadet

Thanks nwcove. Appreciate the help from you two folk.