Evinrude Ficht 150 . . . WOT => low RPM's

bigshrimpin

Seaman
I just bought a used boat with a 150 evinrude ficht. I can't seem to get more than 4900rpm's out of the engine. Prop => 15 pitch stainless. The boat is a 20ft seacraft (weighs 1800lbs). <br />The cavitation plate is slightly higher than the bottom of the vee. <br /><br />Engine has a 2000 powerhead with the pinned heads. The compression is 105 - 110 PSI in all cylinders. When I did the compression test I noticed terrible soot like carbon buildup on the plugs. <br /><br />Any ideas why I can't get the RPM's up?

bigshrimpin

Seaman
Re: Evinrude Ficht 150 . . . WOT => low RPM's

I'm nervous about that this might indicate a problem with the injectors. They are the old style OMC injectors part #439127.

bigshrimpin

Seaman

I worked out the numbers with a prop calculator.<br /><br />Gear ratio =>1.86<br />Pitch =>15<br />rpm =>5500<br />Theoretical speed =>42<br /><br /> http://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm <br /><br />42 - prop slip 10% = 38mph<br />------------------------------------------<br />I had 3 people in the boat and hit 38/39 mph via GPS. The tach only reads 4900. <br />------------------------------------------<br /><br />Could my tach be wrong?

bigshrimpin

Seaman

http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/output.cfm?id=942823 <br /><br />Tach Trouble<br />Here's what to do when you can't read the revs.<br />John Tiger Jr.<br />Bass and Walleye Boats<br />April 1, 2003<br /> Email this article to a friend!<br />No single instrument is more important to a performance-minded boater than the tachometer. It is the most relied-upon instrument on the dashboard, and the one you glance at most often. It tells us if the engine is running up to par, if the prop’s still all there, and if the setup is working to its maximum potential. All the more trouble, then, if your tach suddenly stops working.<br /><br />Unfortunately, this is a fairly common occurrence. But, since a tachometer is fairly easy to troubleshoot, finding and fixing the problem shouldn’t be too difficult for most savvy backyard techs. Tach trouble usually takes one of three forms: Either the unit stops working altogether, it’s deemed inaccurate, or the setting switch (if so equipped) is out of adjustment. If yours has a switch on the back, be sure it’s set (usually on the “12” position, corresponding to the 12-pole alternator used on most large outboards) to match your engine.<br /><br />Of the three types of problems, total failure is most common. Unless it’s way off, a misreading tach can easily go undetected. Cross-checking it against another tach that’s known to be accurate is the only way you can be sure that yours is telling the truth.<br /><br />BUY THE BOOK<br /><br />Before attempting to troubleshoot your tachometer (especially electrical circuits), get your hands on the factory service manual for your make and model of outboard. Most manuals will walk you through a simple procedure for checking the tach circuit. At least for Mercury, Johnson and Evinrude outboards, the tachometer circuit wire is light gray. It typically starts at the engine’s rectifier and/or stator assembly, is routed through the wiring harness, and then to the key switch or control box at the helm. From there it leads to the back of the tachometer. Most tachs use four wires: switched power on (usually purple); ground (black); light circuit (blue); and signal input (light gray).<br /><br />It is easiest to check for 12-volt power and proper ground first. A volt-ohmmeter or 12-volt test light are great tools for this procedure. Simply ground the meter or light, turn the key on and touch the positive probe to the purple wire on the back of the tach. You should see 12 volts indicated on the meter, or if you’re using a test light, its bulb should illuminate. Reverse the leads to check for proper ground, or use the ground wire on the tach to ground your meter or test light.<br /><br />If either the power circuit or ground is the culprit, you can repair the problem and the tach should work fine. In a no-power situation, see if your tach has an inline fuse. These often blow due to constant vibration. After inspecting for power and ground, if it still doesn’t work, it’s time to check the signal-input source, or the tach itself.<br /><br />CALL IN A BACKUP<br /><br />A simple way to determine if the tach is bad is to use another tach. I have an Evinrude digital tachometer that’s fitted with clip-on alligator leads for just this purpose. It’s a quick job to duck under the dash, clip the leads to the existing tach, and start the engine to see if the “shop” tach works. If it does, the boat’s tach is no good.<br /><br />In the event you don’t have access to a shop tach, you’ll have to refer to the manual to check the signal source. The signal is a pulse-positive output that’s provided directly from the alternator (stator) assembly through the rectifier. A peak-reading voltmeter set to “positive” and the lowest volt scale will enable you to read any voltage output (on this circuit) from the stator.<br /><br />Check the procedure and specifications for your engine, since the inspection point, procedure and wiring are not the same for all outboards. In addition, your ohmmeter can be used to check the continuity of the stator windings, as well as the integrity of the rectifier diodes.<br /><br />Oftentimes, the voltage regulator and rectifier are a combined assembly containing an imbedded tach circuit. When one component fails, they may all fail — resulting in an inoperative tach, as well as the loss of battery charging. This happened last season on my 1993 Evinrude 225; not only did I lose the tach circuit, by using an in-line ammeter I determined that the battery was not being charged. Replacing the stator and regulator/rectifier assembly (a combined $500 in parts) fixed both problems. Check carefully, and bring it to your dealer if you’re unsure of your findings. Most dealers won’t take returns on electrical parts, so be sure your purchase is justified before whipping out the wallet.<br /><br />TRUST YOUR EYES<br /><br />In many cases, you can detect a failure by closely examining the parts. In particular, check the plastic coating of the stator’s wire windings. If it appears melted or burned, it’s almost a sure bet that the stator needs replacing. This may require removing the flywheel, however, so you can really see the part to examine it.<br /><br />Fortunately, testing it is much easier. The leads are readily accessible on most engines, and it is simply a matter of hooking up the ohmmeter and following the manual’s procedures. In some cases, the rectifier and stator test OK, but the tach still doesn’t work. In this case, check the continuity of the gray wire and every connection on its way to the tach. Assuming this checks out, you’re back to using a shop tach to verify if the boat’s tach is on the fritz.<br /><br />DIALING IT IN<br /><br />Don’t be surprised if your tachometer is a bit off compared to an accurate shop tach. Some are inaccurate by as much as 500 rpm. If yours reads within 100 rpm of the shop tach, it’s pretty close.<br /><br />Many units have a small adjustment screw on the back that can be used to increase accuracy. With the engine running and the shop tach hooked up, compare the readings and then adjust the boat’s to match. In my experience, digital units are inherently more accurate. Evinrude’s (847/689-7090; evin rude.com) and Johnson’s (847/689-7090; johnsonoutboards.com) quartz digital tachs are among the most accurate I’ve seen, as are the Gaffrig units by Livorsi Marine (847/548-5900; livorsi.com).<br /><br />Don’t get caught in the trap of trying to adjust a tach at lower ranges (1000 to 2500 rpm); most are reasonably accurate in the lower end of the scale. It’s at the upper end (5500-plus) that the largest inaccuracies exist. Ironically, it’s in this range that accuracy is most critical. Rather than trying to compare the two tachs while traveling at high speed on the lake, consider taking your rig to a service shop so a test wheel can be used to properly load your engine at higher rpm levels at the dock or in a test tank.<br /><br />Accurate tach readings are essential for high-speed setup, tuning and propping. Lacking these, it’s impossible to know how well your outboard is running or whether your boat is realizing its maximum performance potential.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You should be turning a 19 on that boat. If you can only turn a 15, something is terribly wrong. Lets hope its the tach thats off. Make sure its set correctly. I believe it should be set on position 6. If its not an OMC or BRP tack, check it aginst one.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

some tachs like teleflex have two 6 settings 6C and 6P yours should be set to 6P if it's a teleflex

bigshrimpin

Seaman

Thanks for the response it was definitely the Tach. I switched to 6 and it's right on 5600. Unfortunatley I have other problems with this engine. The engine takes a dump after 15minutes of operation at 4000rpm in the SLOW rpm reduction. No lights come on and theres no alarms either. I suspect the computer is at fault, but who knows. Sure hope the software and diagnostic cable will help. Local dealers are backed up 3 weeks and want $300 just to read the codes.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

$300 just to read codes ain't right, they may be talking a complete 100 hr service included. <br /><br />At most an hour's labor but most places charge 1/2 hr and give you a printout. Call around to different places.

bigshrimpin

Seaman

Thanks Seahorse. The closest dealer Gone Fishin Marine was the one that refused to read the codes without 100hr service ($350) <br /><br />The other 2 within 30miles were backed up 2 to 3 weeks, so I order the software and the cable . . . neither has arrived yet. <br /><br />I ran the engine off a six gallon tank today. The boat didn't stall. However from 2500 - 3500 rpm, The engine is really rough and skips badly. <br /><br />From 3500 to 5700 rpm the engine run perfectly. <br /><br />Someone on another board described these symptoms and called them "popcorn misses" . . . <br /><br />I suspect that this might be the problem. There were some small oil puddles in the lower cowling after I ran the engine. The oil appeared to be coming out around the (air intake . . . throttle plates? what ever you call em). <br /><br />Have you seen this before??