Evinrude Fastwin 20HP

papa_Lazerous

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there I have an Evinrude Fastwin 20HP, which suffered from an extreme overheat due to the stat failing and cooking the engine. It will run but sounds like the rings are shot, as I can hear the pistons slapping the bores at low revs.<br /><br />I have idea what year this engine is and this will make it impossible for me to get parts.<br /><br />the serial I found is: 03B02A B3660<br /><br />I would really appreciate any information given as I am at a loss right nw trying to repair it

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude Fastwin 20HP

look for the # it should be on a tag where it mounts on the transom

papa_Lazerous

Seaman Apprentice

the number I quoted is on a plate that is riveted onto the mounting bracket that holds the oputboard to the transom. I can see those numbers stamped into it, although it has been sprayed with paint

papa_Lazerous

Seaman Apprentice

thanks allot thats helped it may be possible that the 2 is not easily seen due to spray paint filling it. <br /><br />I have been running the engine on 50:1 fuel oil ratio is this correct?<br /><br />and are spares easily available for these engines?

CATransplant

Admiral

50:1 is just fine. Part's aren't all that hard to get for the '70's motors.

papa_Lazerous

Seaman Apprentice

thats good to know, All I have to do now is find somewhere in the Uk that deals with these parts, as it seems that all you guys are US based. <br /><br />Thanks allot for the help so far you guys are very helpful

CATransplant

Admiral

In looking around, I'm finding discrepancies on model numbers. ishopmarine.com, which has parts breakdowns for motors, doesn't list a 20hp for 1973, while the site I gave you shows those model numbers as a 1973 20 hp. I checked a couple of other sites, but couldn't verify your model.<br /><br />Please take another look at that transom mount plate. A little medium grit emery paper rubbed across the plate will highlight the numbers and make them easier to read.<br /><br />It's critical that you find out what year and model you have before you set out to buy parts.

papa_Lazerous

Seaman Apprentice

just rubbed down the plate with a scotch pad, <br /><br />the number is definately <br /><br />203B02A B3660<br /><br />I am a little concerned that it may possibly be a transom bracket for a different engine and fitted to my fastwin as the evinrude colour is blue and the bracket is green, I know it has been spryed but they are the underneath colours. There is no garauntee that the green is original though. Are there any numbers on the engine that I can trace?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Look on the engine block itself for a round, convex plug with numbers stamped in it. It should be on the starboard side of the engine, near the back directly between the two cylinders. The numbers should match the serial number on the nameplate. If not, tell us what it is (though I don't think it'll help).<br />It's possible they swapped the nameplate too. The bracket is green which suggests it's from a Johnson, but that is an Evinrude model number.<br /><br />Haul her apart and see if it's salvageable.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, the transom mount is definitely a '73 Evinrude 20, but the color mismatch may give away a chimera...an outboard put together from parts. Paul gave you a good suggestion to find out what model the motor is. If it's a mismatch, it could complicate your parts search, but not mess it up completely. Lots of parts will swap on several versions of that very popular two-cylinder engine.

CATransplant

Admiral

Tom,<br />I know you like to fix up these old engines, but what would be the point at which you'd bag the whole job and start looking for a different engine?<br /><br />I'm not necessarily suggesting that in this case, but there has to be a point of diminishing returns. I mean, I'm really glad to have my '58 Johnson 35 back up and running, but I really didn't have to spend a lot to do it.<br /><br />If I had heard piston slap on the thing, along with signs that it had been seriously overheated I'd have junked it in a minute. Not because I couldn't eventually get it fixed, but because I wouldn't consider it worthwhile if I really needed an outboard for the current boating season.<br /><br />I guess it's a personal choice, eh?

papa_Lazerous

Seaman Apprentice

Investigated the problem a little further, and the stat is 100% not working, had a look at the engine in detail and there is no mechanical damage. I think the only problem with it now is I have cooked a coil and its not firing when it should all the time and stalling the engine.<br /><br />Been to a local chandler today and he assures me I dont have a 20hp fastwin he said there is no such animal and its DEFINATELY an 18HP. But either way I have got 2 sets of points condensors and coils coming. for £108 sterling. Dont know if that is a good price tho.<br /><br />What I cant seem to source and dont mind importing if I have to is a exhaust tube. (the aluminim tube that sits inside the top casting of the eninge below the exhaust port) The one I have is totaly corroded and burnt a hole through it

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yeah, he just doesn't know any better - they're pretty rare but the do exist. In some ways their a whole lot like the 18hp (pistons, for example) and in other ways they're a whole lot like the the 25hp. But, generally speaking they're more like the 18hp engines. Johnson for years didn't sell the '18hp' but rather the '20hp' like yours.<br />I don't know if the exhaust tuner is still available, if it is it sells for around $40 USD (P/N 313564). An alternative is to go find your local outboard wrecker, and see if he has some in good shape. It should be the same as the 25hp one. As for the price of parts, I know a lot of people from the UK find it less expensive to import parts from the US. Those coils sell for as little as $15USD each (18-5181), and the points&condensor kits for around $20USD. I'm done importing those particular parts from the US, but when I did I could usually get them to my door for around $80-90CAD.<br />Good to hear it's still got good compression after the overheat. Did you disassemble the engine to determine if the pistons were damaged?

papa_Lazerous

Seaman Apprentice

The compression stil felt good, and the engine turns over smoothly with the plugs out to feel if everything was nice. I took off the exhaust port and inlet port covers and could see the rings and pistons had no marks on them., the rings look pretty new with no grooves on them. I work as an engineer so I have a pretty good idea that they are ok. The engine was banging a bit when running and stalling I have put it down to a dodgy coil as when it got hot an HT lead came out of the top coil, and cut the revs by half which is what allerted me to a problem (good job really) I screwed the HT lead back in and it runs but not great. So I feel it is an ingition problem now. I will no by the weekend as the parts come in on Friday

papa_Lazerous

Seaman Apprentice

Arghhhhh,<br /><br />I picked up the parts from my local dealer, they got me 2 ignition coils. but only one condenser and one set of points. so I now have to wait till Wednesaday (cant fit it till saturday) for another point set. I did get it running although it appeared not to be pumping water and was running very badly and kicking back on its self. whipped the cylinder head off and it was pressurising itself hence no water and blowing between cylinders. obvioulsy firing in the other cylinder than it was meant to and firing on the wasted spark stalling the engine so I got a new head gasket coming too now. he only good thing is I got a chance to inspect the liners. and I am pleased to say they look new! there isnt the slightest mark or groove or lip on them anywhere. I was told that the engine had been rebuilt and not run much since but you never can tell with people if they are being truthful but I am very happy with all this time and money it will be like new again :)

UK Vintage

Cadet

Investigated the problem a little further, and the stat is 100% not working, had a look at the engine in detail and there is no mechanical damage. I think the only problem with it now is I have cooked a coil and its not firing when it should all the time and stalling the engine.<br /><br />Been to a local chandler today and he assures me I dont have a 20hp fastwin he said there is no such animal and its DEFINATELY an 18HP. But either way I have got 2 sets of points condensors and coils coming. for £108 sterling. Dont know if that is a good price tho.<br /><br />What I cant seem to source and dont mind importing if I have to is a exhaust tube. (the aluminim tube that sits inside the top casting of the eninge below the exhaust port) The one I have is totaly corroded and burnt a hole through it

You definately do have a 20hp fastwin, I have the same engine, same year same serial everything and they told me the same thing, doesn't exist. well it does, you can check it on maxrules.com. It is European made in Belgium, that's why people can't find it, it is the equivalent of the U.S 18 and 25 hp engines. You can find parts from here:

www.keypart.com

they're in U.K and can source most parts for good money. all other parts you're likely to need are available in the U.S or on Ebay. If you want a manual go here:

http://www.manuals.zoomshare.com/7.html