Evinrude E-Tech

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I,m looking at a 2005 Lowe with Evinrude E-Tech 90hp Just wanting to know if anybody has had any experience or know how this motor has held up. Any info would much be appreciated. Thanks Mike

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Evinrude E-Tech

I've been very impressed with the Etecs so far. My dad had a 2008 60hp and the direct injected offers very good acceleration, super efficient fuel management and they are quieter than a 4-stroke.

The fumes are pretty much negligent and they've won awards for being environmentally friendly, which outboards have never come close to winning before.:)

As far as reliability, they seem good so far and we had no issues, but they have not been around long enough to see long-term performance yet.

So yeah, I like them, they just costs too much or else I'd have one hanging off my Starcraft's transom right now.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Scan through this forum for E-tec issues. You won't find many.

SparkieBoat

Captain

when they do need a repair you better bring your wallet, there is no such thing as an inexpensive repair on one of those things. So far I think they have done better than Yamaha and Mercury with the DI motors. But they are still too costly for me..I will keep on using my old carbbed motors until I cant find one left to use.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No matter who manufactures a mtr today they are all costly to repair. Ah for the days of no laptops.

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice

when they do need a repair you better bring your wallet, there is no such thing as an inexpensive repair on one of those things. So far I think they have done better than Yamaha and Mercury with the DI motors. But they are still too costly for me..I will keep on using my old carbbed motors until I cant find one left to use.

thanks for your input

slackeribew

Seaman Apprentice

Is that because nobody buys them? Or they reliable? Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

They are very reliable, but look at it this way. The automotive industry is the same way, cost more to repair and you can't work on them yourself any more.

thb

Cadet

Hello,
I have a 90 etec on my flats boat and it has been perfect. Never a problem and still running strong after 4 years and zero maintenance.
I have run XD100 oil at 100:1 ratio programmed into the ECU ( electronic control unit ). I get better than 7 mpg at 25 mph cruise on my 18 ft flats boat. Burns about 3 gallons per hour at this speed.
Tom in Steinhatchee

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

To really get a good idea on the reliability, head over to:

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/

There you will find answers to your questions. To summarize, yes, that particular E-tec has been great. You need to make sure that all of the software updates have been done.