Evinrude Cracked block ...repair?

Paul Witt

Seaman
I have a 98 115. There is a small crack in the block near the starbord aft mount point. It's patched with Marine Tex right now, I don't know how long this will last. Is there any repairs for a cracked block, and if I can get it welded, does the engine need to be disassembled?<br /><br />Next question. If I decide to replace the power head, what exactly comes with a rebuilt power head? Is it a simple bolt on and go, or is there more to that?

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude Cracked block ...repair?

Sounds like you got luckily did you have any problems before you made the repair compression, water, sucking air in. If not by the mounts is a beefy part of the block if it’s the foot your talking about that cracked just check for any excessive vibration and condition of rubber mounts that could of put a strain on it if all looks good keep running it

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i have had blocks welded where a rod had nocked a hole in it. it worked great .

Paul Witt

Seaman

I'm headed out to see if it's still leaking. Can you weld the block, without disassembling the motor?

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you might clean the break good and repair with jbweld . you might weld it if it issnot to close to rubber seals . check with a good welder. papasage

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

prior to attempting to get it welded I would try to see if Jb weld fixes it I had in one on a cracked block for 2 seasons and never had any problems with it the stuff is great

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I have been holding together a crack in my transmission on my truck for like 4 yrs. now with JB weld, that stuff is a s hard as real metal.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

This looks like a job for:<br /><br />
site1059.jpg
<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty