evinrude controls question

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
what kind of controls will i need for my 1959 lark?can they be bought new?

TrevorM

Cadet
Re: evinrude controls question

Does it have a red circle plug? im guessing the shift is manual?

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

no red circle plug

Attachments

• P8080549.JPG
    P8080549.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P8080551.JPG
    P8080551.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are a lot of the old 2 handled controls on ebay. do you have the wiring harness, that plug in to the side of the motor, and the solenoid, junction box, that mount inside the transom. the top pic is the control i'm using on my 58 35hp the 2nd is the junction box, the 3rd will also work, used on '55 15hp iboats sells the connector kits. if you don't have junction box, i can tell you how to build one.

MVC-072S.jpg

starterbox.jpg

MVC-733S.jpg

59lido

Seaman Apprentice

tashasdaddy, Do you know anyone who sells or where I might find the wiring harness and plug for a 59 evinrude lark?

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

59lido
got to www.nymarine.com and click on the tab "parts for sale"

scroll down page and you will find them. #377278. make sure you are sitting down and holding onto your chair when you read the price

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

so whats everything i need to do and get. i have noting for this outboard.thanks

tashasdaddy

i used a toggle switch for the on off. 2 push buttons for choke and starter. you will need a starter solenoid, and several different colors of wire. battery cables. 1 long ground and 2 postive. if you want a water proof box, to mount on transom. let me get it together. and i'll post the directions

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

direction would be great thanks alot

tashasdaddy

this is not hard if you understand the motor

WIRING A LATE 50?S JOHNSON/EVINRUDE

The battery is only for the starter, unless you have a generator. These directions do not include the motors with generators.

You have to control 3 things. 1/ on-off 2/ electric choke 3/ activating starter.

1/ on- off - I used a simple toggle switch, spliced into the 2 kill wires going to the 2 coils, and ran a wire from each, one wire going to one side of the switch the other the other side. The idea is when this switch is closed, it grounds out the coils, and no spark.

2/ electric choke- I used a simple push button, picked up positive power off the start circuit. Ran 1 wire to the choke solenoid..

3? starter- you need a starter solenoid mounted on the transom, cable from battery to one side of the solenoid. Cable from other side to starter, main post. ground cable from motor to battery. One small terminal runs to ground on battery, the other to the push button on the dash. You also have to supply a positive wire to the push button from the battery, this does not have a neutral switch, if you want neutral switch. Your small ground from solenoid can run to neutral switch. Which will ground it back to battery.

Keep you wires color coded, and do not accidentally apply 12 volts to the kill wires, or your coils will be toast.

good luck. i will be out of touch, tomorrow thru the 19th. FR is a good one to help you also.

i plan to eat as many Florida Lobsters as i can, in the Keys.

MVC-065S.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

hitace, PM me your e-mail address and I will send you some stuff showing the electrical hookup. BTW, your '59 does have a safety switch to prevent starting in gear with wide-open throttle. The second small terminal on the solenoid connects to it. Another thing, DO NOT use a car (ford) solenoid. You will burn up the safety switch. If you do burn it up, I have a new one at a reasonable price. Along the same line, DO NOT use a car ignition switch. That will burn up the ignition coils.

Either of the remote shift/throttle controls that tashasdaddy pictured will work. Try to get the second one, they work better. Whichever one you get, make sure you get the cables with it, even if they are shot. The ends on the cables are part of the control and will be heck to find if they were thrown out with the old cables. New cables (without ends) are available right here at iboats at a reasonable price.