EVINRUDE CARBURETORS

I'm New to this forum but I hope someone can help, I have a 1987 Evinrude Outboard 40 model E40TLCUD my problem is I would like to get rid of my fixed idle air jet carburetors and replace them with idle adjust carburetors, The carburetors I have are junk, Does anyone know if I can replace the mine with newer model carbs any help would be much appreciated.
Thank BILL

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Explain how you determined your carburetors are junk?------How did your motor run last season ?----Or were they full of water and all corroded ?----Damaged by a previous owner ?-----If motor does not run nicely what trouble shooting was done ?

Thanks for the reply,
Damaged by a previous owner, Carburetors apart when I got the motor rebuilt both carbs new everything including all orifices, Carbs were dip and cleaned engine stilled ran bad no idle , Told to try several things one is To determine which carburetor is bad have the engine running at the problem rpm and stick a couple fingers into the carburetor throat (acting as a manual choke). When the engine smooths out and the rpms increase, you've found the offending carburetor, Which is what I did and rpms increased, 2 is remove a spark plug wire which I did and this is what happened, At idle removed top spark plug wire and engine stopped running removed bottom wire engine continued running, Then I switched carburetors ( bottom to top and top to bottom) Pulled top plug wire engine continued to run pull bottom wire engine stopped running.
OK - Here's what I've done.
- Kitted the carbs & fuel pump
- Replaced all the fuel lines with clear ones can see good fuel flow.
- Link & Sync'd As best I know how.
-New spark plugs .040 gap)
- Tested spark (good 7/16 or better arc)
- Compression check =140 psi top and bottom.
I'm complete done with the carbs and basically I would like to switch to the carburetors that have a idle screw and are new
Thanks BILL