Evinrude 9.5 sportwin, float level and fuel flow questions

georgeJeff

Cadet
Hello to all, thanks for taking the time to help. You may recall that I have a sportwin 9.5 from some previous questions. I have done the following: new coils, points, wires, condensers, carb kit (boiled the carb out, very clean now), compression is 63 on top, 61 on bottom. I can get the motor to start, but very poor idle and not real good at wot.

My question: The primer bulb never gets hard, the float never rises to completely shut off the fuel flow. I have bent and tweaked the float level until I'm blue in the face. When the bowl is full, the fuel is supposed to be completely cut off right? What are the effects of this on how the engine will run?

By the way, I suspect that I have an air leak in the fuel line behind the quick connect on the motor. My S/S needle has little to no effect on engine rpm. A fuel line air leak would cause this?

Thanks again ladies and gents.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Evinrude 9.5 sportwin, float level and fuel flow questions

You must solve the fuel/air leak problems before you can attack any other problem. Good luck keep us posted

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As you know, the float controls the needle/seat assembly. You can check that by holding the float body upside down, so the float (needle/seat) is closed. Lightly apply air pressure to make sure it seals.

I agree with above. You cannot have any air leaks in the fuel line/delivery system.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What makes you think you have an air leak?

If the fuel lines are aged, don't even bother playing with them. Pull them all out and replace outright. Ethanol proof 3/16" line is easily found.

When I set my carbs, I make the unhinged end just slightly higher than the hinged end. This ensures that the needle seats when the fuel bowl fills.

Are you certain the float even floats? What was its condition during rebuild?

As stated, after assembling the carb, always test the needle/seat/float by blowing into the fuel inlet with the carb right side up, and upside down to ensure needle is seating when it should.

How is the mounts on the motor? Can you pull the powerhead fore and aft? Also check for exhaust leaks.

What do you have the ss needle set at ?

georgeJeff

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Chris and others. The old evinrude that I bought was salty, every bolt broke off that I tried to remove. A friend gave me a "donor" johnson 9.5. So I just put the johnson in the evinrude clamshell. Motor mounts are fine, new coils, points, condenser, wires, two carb kits (just in case the first one didn't take I suppose). Tried to get it to run right this weekend, the silly thing would start, surge a bit, then die. That is when I noticed that the needle never fully cut the fuel off, so started trying to adjust the float, a little this way, to much, a little that way, not enough, FRUSTRATING!!!! In desperation, thought I would set the points to .010, then .030 just for kicks and giggles to see what would happen. At .030, seemed a little better, but not right. Walked away from it at that point.

Last night I had an epiphany!! Went to wally world and got a new quick connect for both ends of the fuel line. TADDDDDA!! it will now idle, but I left the timing at .030. Have to fix that. But I believe that the problem the entire time was an air leak at the motor quick connect. S/S needle now responds and the idle is pretty fair, hope it will be perfect when I set the points tonight.

Thanks for everyones help.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad you're gettin' under way. You gotta figure; if there is leak in your fuel supply, it will suck air. That air bubblizes fuel in the bowl. Depending on your load and RPM, it may run ok at times an not at other times.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

That sounds like an adventure.
No matter how much you tweek the float in your carb,if it is saturated with fuel (if it is an old cork one) or if it is a newer plastic one there may be a small leak and fuel gets in, the float will go down thereby causing leakage.
Also,make sure that your plug and points are clean and set right ( 0.030 and 0.020 inch) and last but not least,check your link and sinc.
As for boating gear from wallmart, me thinks that it is junk. specially the hoses and balls. It is right down there with Stearns and Seasense. It is fine if you go fishing on a pond, but for anything a bit more involved ,you would do well to buy high end hoses and connectors.