Evinrude 8hp ID and Other Help Please

Vlads Quiff

Seaman Apprentice
Hi<br />As part of a late mid-life crisis I have brought a used Zodiac 3.1 Fastroller with an 8hp Evinrude two stroke off ebay, just to mess around in (withing rowing distance of any shore), with my boys.<br />I have no experience in boats or outboards at all.<br />The model number is E8RET and serial number B 8981324.<br />I would like to know some technical spec on the engine. How old it is , if this is proven engine , ease to work on and obtain parts etc.<br />Advise on basic maintenance would also be much appreciated.<br />One specific question the throttle does not spring back and self return, should it?<br />Thanks in anticipation.<br />VQ

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 8hp ID and Other Help Please

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />1993.<br /><br />The throttle won't return to idle by itself. Boat motors have always been that way for some reason. There's a light spring to bring the butterfly closed, but you can't feel it. Generally they're as bullet-proof a motor as you can get. Never run it out of the water, always remember to add oil to the gas. Since you won't use-up the gas too often, always use stabilizer too. Most any part you'd need is still available.

Vlads Quiff

Seaman Apprentice

Wow that was quick,thanks Willy.<br />I did run it for a minute or two out of water, I hope that won't have done any lasting harm.<br />What is Stabaliser...is there a general name for this engine ?<br />I have only ever been involved in four stroke engines before, how does the crank get lubed, how does the cooling system work etc....so many questions sorry.<br /><br />regards and best wishes from the UK anyway

Xcusme

Commander

Vlads,<br />As WillyB mentioned , never run your motor out of water. You can run them in a deep barrel with the lower and midsection submurged. The water pump has to be under the waterline for them to pump water up to the powerhead to cool the motor. If you run them dry, the pump impeller (part that moves the water) can be destroyed. It's best to replace the pump impeller, it's easy to do with the manual, and should take about an hour. Worst case is running a dry motor. Heat will build quickly causing a lot of damage to the pistons, rings, cylinder walls etc. If this motor is new to you, it's best to replace the water pump impeller and know for sure that it won't fail when you need it the most. It's part of normal maintanence to replace the pump every 2-3 years even tho the motor goes unused. The impeller "arms' can take a set from sitting and not pump as effeciently as a new one. The impeller rubber can dry out and crack. If parts of the impeller break off and are pushed up into the cooling passages of the powerhead, they can block the flow of cooling water and overheat the motor. The water pump impeller is turning whenever the motor is running . It is being by the driveshaft. The water pump is located just above the junction between the lower unit and mid-section seam. <br /><br />Two stroke motors are lubricated by mixing oil in the gas. The mix ratio for your motor is 50:1. That's 50 parts gas to one part oil.<br />Typically you'd add 16 oz.of TCW-3 rated oil to 6 gallons of 87 octane gas. You don't want higher octane gas. This fuel/oil mix is all thats required for internal lubrication.<br /><br />A gas additive is stabilizer. Sta-bil Link helps maintain the quality of fuel if stored for long periods of time. If you don't plan on storing your motor for long periods of time, you can omit the fuel stabilizer.<br /><br /><br />From a maintanence standpoint, you'd be smart to find a service manual for your motor. All aspects of maintaining the motor are clearly explained. The manual will show you the steps to replace the water pump also. I personally prefer the OMC original service manuals, they have more information. Since many OMC manuals are out of print, private sellers on Ebay are a main source for the factory manuals. The alternative is to find a 3rd party service manual by Solec etc. <br /><br />c/p:<br /><br />If you want to do the job right, nothing can substitute for the service manual. By your having the manual, questions can be answered before you even think to ask them It's a simple fact. But of course, the manual doesn't always tell the whole story. Service manuals are often geared to a level above the average do-it-yourself mechanic, and familiarity with outboards in general will help in interpreting details of the manual. Major outboard models are covered in repair manuals from Clymers, Seloc, Intertec, and others, generally available from your local outboard dealer. The dealer can also sell you or tell you where to get a genuine repair manual from the manufacturer. Such a manual might be slightly more expensive, but it will generally be more complete than the "one size fits all" aftermarket manual, since it is geared towards the dealer's service department and not the do-it-yourselfer. Mercury sells one manual that covers all its motors 1965 and older, and other manuals for newer models. OMC has outsourced printing of all publications covering motors 1979 and older to Ken Cook Co. Since the repair manuals are often general in nature, we also recommend that you get a parts manual for your exact model, so that you can know for sure if you've got everything there."

Vlads Quiff

Seaman Apprentice

Xcusme......<br />Thanks for the advice re the impeller.<br />I need to get a manual , any ideas where, is there a name for this engine?<br />I can see how the oil in the mix lubes the cylinder wall, but how are the crank bearings lubed?<br /><br />cheers VQ

Xcusme

Commander

I edited my post above with a few more details on the manuals. As for the rod and crank bearings, the fuel mix is ported thru small holes to the journals and supplies enough lubrication. This pumping action is a result of the vacuum and compression strokes of the pistons themselves when in operation.<br /><br />Yup, your motor has a name..Just tell them it's a 1993 Evinrude Model #E8RET. That's all thats needed to obtain parts.

Vlads Quiff

Seaman Apprentice

"Yup, your motor has a name..Just tell them it's a 1993 Evinrude Model #E8RET"... , I should have guessed. <br /> :D <br />It's only that a some of these engines have names like "1993 Water Panther", or "1993 Ocean Dolphin" etc ;) <br /><br />cheers again<br />VQ