Evinrude 88' 6HP issues

ssmyth

Cadet
i have problems with the motor slowing and increasing RPM randomly. especially when at lower RPM. i put a new carb kit and needle in and it does the same. it will also do it if i walk to the back of the boat, as if it is tipping the motor enough to make it happen. i think maybe the float in the carb may be the problem, or somthing pluged in the carb? i replaced the float when i rebuilt it. any thoughts?
ssmyth

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 88' 6HP issues

Your description is hard to understand. When you walk to the back of the boat it idles higher or lower? What size boat? It's a 6hp so I'm thinking john boat, but you could have it as a kicker on a bigger vessel...

The motor will idle higher if it is not as deep in the water, it is the result of less back pressure. That's why they idle higher on the hose, no back pressure.

If it is surging while underway it could be fuel related, have you tried pumping the ball while underway? Then again, we don't know if that is when your problem is occurring because the description is weak.

FishinDave

Seaman Apprentice

I would drain the fuel tank and clean it to get rid of any water in it. Then check your fuel line connections to the tank and to the motor to make sure you dont have any air being pulled in. Check the fuel lines near the engine for and cracks from dry rot etc. If all that looks good, pull the fuel line off the carb and make sure fuel is getting to the carb. If all this looks good, you may have a fuel port in the carb clogged. Before you take the carb off and clean it, make sure you have the proper fuel mixer and it would not hurt to replace the spark plugs if you have not(make sure you have the right gap if you do replace them). Hope this helps

ssmyth

Cadet

Your description is hard to understand. When you walk to the back of the boat it idles higher or lower? What size boat? It's a 6hp so I'm thinking john boat, but you could have it as a kicker on a bigger vessel...

The motor will idle higher if it is not as deep in the water, it is the result of less back pressure. That's why they idle higher on the hose, no back pressure.

If it is surging while underway it could be fuel related, have you tried pumping the ball while underway? Then again, we don't know if that is when your problem is occurring because the description is weak.

sorry
when going to the back of the boat it ldles lower. it intermitantly will idle lower just trolling also. if i increase the throttle, it will snap out of it then shortly after it will increase throttle by itself. also, it is on controls.
it is a kicker on a 16 ft 81' starcraft fish & ski
i have two tanks and hoses, and it is consistently doing it with both setups.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm still confused, see my replys below...
sorry
when going to the back of the boat it ldles lower.

so my original claim that the motor is deeper, more back pressure, lower idle is supported. No problem here.

it intermitantly will idle lower just trolling also.

Like about to stall? Your idle may be set too low, is it on a tach? Maybe it's mounted too deep?

if i increase the throttle, it will snap out of it then shortly after it will increase throttle by itself.

What is it snapping out of? idling? isn't it supposed to when you increase the throttle?

also, it is on controls.
it is a kicker on a 16 ft 81' starcraft fish & ski
i have two tanks and hoses, and it is consistently doing it with both setups.

Maybe a picture of your set up would help. is the kicker mounted too low? I don't really hear you describing a real problem, two strokes just idle funky, it's not a car motor...