Evinrude 80 hp only runs 11 mph

watchman926

Cadet
I had posted a month ago that I had issues with my motor. I had one carb running too lean and overheated the bottom right cylinder. Every time I would put a new plug in, it would run good then start losing power. That same plug would have aluminum on it causing it to not fire. I took off the head and the piston was melted on the top in the middle and on the sharp edges of that lip that runs across the middle. The aluminum was in the cylinder so, I cleaned it out and put the head back on. It ran good for a minute and did it again. I don't know if it had more particle in the bottom of the cylinder and that all I need is to clean it out really good or do I need to replace that piston? The cylinder walls are untouched. I don't think it melted on the sides of the piston but I won't know until I get it out. The top cylinder and piston looks fine. There was enough particles in that cylinder that it lock up the motor just enough as I was turning it over, that it broke my new starter. Some of it smashed between the pistion and head but did not stop the motor but did break my starter head. I had another motor that had a piston that was in even worse condition and it ran perfect. I guess it depends on the rest of the cylinder. Does anyone have any advice?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 80 hp only runs 11 mph

The engine has encountered a pre-ignition scenario, due to a lean running carburetor, a very small spray of water entering the cylinder, wrong spark plugs (too hot), or a timing problem.

Regardless of the cause, the engine requires a complete overhaul. Nothing else will do!