Evinrude 6hp 1967 vintage issues

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just picked this up as a non runner ...compression is 85/100 but could be higher now as its a runner Only issue I have is the twist grip doesn't return to slow but only shift . It looks like its not been put on properly as when you lift up the arm to show the brass cogs the gaps between the teeth don't align up Today I need to inspect the stat and remove stator as they is up and down movement. I will remove carb and thoroughly clean it as it does run but not at low speed
edit.....had it running today as i cleaned the mesh intake above the prop and checked the stat........non fitted
when running and put into gear the water does travel up the pipe work and into the thermostat housing so no blockage any where.
also the water after a few mins is hot so presume thats ok or is they something i should check.
the stator doesnt wobbled when running so again i presume the flywheel is keeping everything in order.
running via pumping bulb on petrol pipe as my quick release pipe is smaller so i need to order a new valve so i can test pump out....basically i am running straight into carb.
still the twist grip issue to sort out if anyone knows how to sort

Last edited: