Evinrude 60hp 1990 - Missing at 3200rpm

Clearsky

Cadet
I'm new boating, and have just purchased our 1st boat. It's a used 15' Crusader Half Cabin (1985) and has a 1990 Evinrude 60HP (VRO) which has been rebuilt (only 2 hours use since rebuild). The problem I have is the engine starts fine but miss's whenever I pass thru 3200RPM for the 1st 15-20 minutes of running. Below 3200RPM or above to WOT it's fine. After 15-20 minutes the missing goes and engine runs smoothly from idle to WOT. The VRO is disconnected and fuel is manually mixed, I have been told by dealer to run on a 25:1 mixture for 2 tanks of gas and then revert back to 50:1 for normal running. Have had the problem looked at but they say they cannot replicate the problem. Have taken the boat out a few times and every time at exactly 3200rpm it miss's and it's felt when speeding up or slowing down, whenever you pass through 3200rpm, but after 15-20 minutes it vanishes!!. <br /><br />When it miss's the outboard lifts up and then slams down once passed the miss (due to water presure pushing against the outboard) and this cannot be doing the engine or the boat any good..<br /><br />Seems like a long time to warm up if thats the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm not quite sure what to do with it and each time I have it looked at it's costings me.<br /><br />Thanks

Clearsky

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 60hp 1990 - Missing at 3200rpm

Anyone have any suggestions? I just not sure how to get this fixed.<br /><br />Thanks

cadunkle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can't help you out but this sounds very similar to what my 9.9 HP Evinrude in my 16' runabout does. At anything over a certain throttle opening/RPM in 'kicks' like that when it misfires once every 15-30 seconds. Really not sure what the problem is.

h_lankford

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like two problems<br /><br />even if you turn off the ignition switch at full throttle and kill the engine, the tilt/trim hydraulic should hold the outboard in place .If yours is kicking up as you describe when it sputters, then that's a very serious, unsafe situation.<br /><br />as for the missing, no idea on that, but I'd take a look at problem #1 first.

Clearsky

Cadet

Thanks,<br /><br />I'll have the Tilt and Trim looked at 1st and worry about the missing later.