Evinrude 6 Fisherman not pumping water?

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just started up my evinrude 6 fisherman (apologies, not sure of the year right now, think it's '67 for some reason) for the season, and I don't see it peeing any water.

Where should the water spray out of? Is it that hole on the backside halfway down the lower unit?

If it should be spraying out of that hole, it definitely isn't. Any tips for me? I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined and I've done enough work on 2-stroke motors to know what's going on, but not too experienced with outboard motors. I know this motor worked last year.

Think it's the water pump? Impeller? Any way to narrow down what my problem really is?

Thanks!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 6 Fisherman not pumping water?

Is it in the water deep enough?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The very early 6HP motors had a pump that was not very good, so many of them have been upgraded to a newer, complete water pump #0763758 that works very well.

You should consider at least replacing the impeller, but first you need to determine which pump you have so that you get the correct impeller.

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is it in the water deep enough?

Yes, I put it in a barrel and filled it up pretty high. My 9.5 seems to have the same lower unit concept and it pumped water in the same barrel.

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The very early 6HP motors had a pump that was not very good, so many of them have been upgraded to a newer, complete water pump #0763758 that works very well.

You should consider at least replacing the impeller, but first you need to determine which pump you have so that you get the correct impeller.

Any resources anybody could provide towards getting to the pump and seeing?

When I take it apart, is there something I should be looking for that might tell me what's going on? Sounds like if I'm taking it apart, I might as well replace the impeller no matter what. But is there anything that I could do to know it's something more once I open it up?

I'm hoping to sell this motor since I no longer need it, but want to make sure it's reliable before I do.