evinrude 50h unable to go full throttle

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Evinrude 50h serial # G 02535055. Model #VE50BELESR. Ran over floating log, unable to go full throttle with excessive vibration and noise shortly after. Any advise where/what to check? Anyone can help me on how to lower the lower unit to check the gear case. right now, I dropped lower unit, but, it does not drop low enough to take out the gear case. thank you.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: evinrude 50h unable to go full throttle

easiest questions 1st. Did you bend the prop? Spin the prop hub? Did the engine quit after the hit?

Dropping the lower unit did you remove the shift rod bolt?

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, everything ok. no, motor still run at low speed. I try to drop l u but don't where disconnect shift rod can you tell me more how to. Thank you.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Should be a screw under the carb on the left side. I had to remove the starter to access mine. Once all the bolts and the shift rod is removed it should fall pretty easy. Should be 6 bolts holding it on, one is the trim tab that sticks down dehind the prop.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now I dropped the L U try to inspect gear case, but don't know how to remove or loosen up the nuts right before the prop can anybody give me some hints. Thank you.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Which nuts are they?
Dont remove the philips screw one

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

If you plan on braking this lower unit down I suggest you get a factory manual. There are quite specific steps, tools and measurements that need to be followed.
I myself will not do one of these units as I am not equipt for it.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Now that you have the lower off, if you can rotate the prop shaft (prop off) and don't feel in binding or rumble, you're problem is probably not inside the lower. (Unless) If you hit a floating log and now have vibration, I would be looking for a bent prop shaft or possibly drive shaft. Were all of your lower unit bolts in tact?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Before dropping the case it is easy to check fo a bent shaft. As mention check before check for binding and roughness when rotating the propshaft. Take the PROP OFF, put the muffs on, start the engine. Any propshaft I've ener seen has a small countersink on the end. Put engine in gear. Place the shapened tip of a pencil(love that graphite) in the countersunk area. If the shaft is bent the pencil will wobble. If the bend is severe enough the wobble will be visible without using the pencil.

Out of curiouity. Was it an Aluminium or Stainless Prop?

Last edited:

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before dropping the case it is easy to check fo a bent shaft. As mention check before check for binding and roughness when rotating the propshaft. Take the PROP OFF, put the muffs on, start the engine. Any propshaft I've ener seen has a small countersink on the end. Put engine in gear. Place the shapened tip of a pencil(love that graphite) in the countersunk area. If the shaft is bent the pencil will wobble. If the bend is severe enough the wobble will be visible without using the pencil.

Out of curiouity. Was it an Aluminium or Stainless Prop?

I inspect everything seems to be okay. we took a boat for test drive, the engine runs only at 1500 RPM, sound good and smooth. can only push throttle 1/4 inch if more than that engine tend to shake and die. any other hints and advice will be appreciated. Thank you, Cal s.