Evinrude 50173s transmission selector switch

cmuzzy

Cadet
Hello I just bought a boat with a 1971 Evinrude 50173s 50hp engine. After testing it it would not shift into neutral or reverse. Then I did the test with the blue and green wire someone else metioned and I narrowed the proble to the transmission selector switch #0279090. I cannot find a replacement anywhere and most places on the web just say not available. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement I figured I could use a DPDT toggle switch, but i want to use that as a last resort. I am up for any suggestions. Thanks for advance for any imput.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 50173s transmission selector switch

You will have to go to a salvage yard. Some times you can find a complete control box on E-BAY. Have seen some sell for a reasonable price, probably because the seller did not realise what the switch alone was worth.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

engine has to be running inorder to shift. agree on availability.

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

Drop me a PM with your email and I sill send you the email address of the person who I've been able to get several hard to find parts for my '71 60hp Johnson.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

I seem to recall being able to take that shift switch apart on my 50173s. Take it apart and clean the contacts. I also had to change the lower unit oil on mine before it would shift into reverse. It shifts fine now.

You should also make sure power is getting to the selector switch. The inside of my controller box was pretty grungy, with some corroded connections.

cmuzzy

Cadet

Thanks for all the suggestions and I replaced the switch. Out of the water with muffs on it switches in nuetral and reverse but in the water it only goes in forward still. I replace with the type c oil and still only forward gear. Any suggestions on what might still be causing this?
Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for all the suggestions and I replaced the switch. Out of the water with muffs on it switches in nuetral and reverse but in the water it only goes in forward still. I replace with the type c oil and still only forward gear. Any suggestions on what might still be causing this?
Thanks

That didin't make a bit of sense, till I thought about it. Dunno if this is valid, but I'm thinking it is idleing too slow. But it still should shift at any runable speed. Unless there is a hydraulic problem in the lower unit. That would be my best guess. Speed it up a bit and see if it then shifts. That would confirm a hydraulic problem.

bolter15

Cadet

Check your solenoids again. They should both read about 6 ohms of resistance. And if you put a volt meter in line, they should both pass full voltage.... 12V-13V

I can't figure why it wants to work with muffs in the drive way and won't work on the water. Are you running other electrics on the boat that might draw down the voltage??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have to use Premium Blend Type C lower unit oil, or it won't shift.

cmuzzy

Cadet

Thanks for all the info. I replaced the oil with type c oil that I had to get online. After that I put the motor in a big barrel with water to make sure it would go in reverse and neutral and it did then I tried the muffs again and it worked with those too. So I thought it was fine until I put the boat back in the water this weekend and it still did not shift into anything but forward. There is no other electronics drawing any power. I wonder if when it is getting trailered it gets stuck in forward but why would it work in the driveway everytime. Any suggestions

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Check the voltage from the shift switch at the knife connectors at the engine. If no voltage present, check the wire harness where it goes through the cowel. I had one that would work at times and not other times, turned out that when tilting motor to trailer it would move broken wires in harness. Just thinkin.

cmuzzy

Cadet

Thanks I hope it is that simple I will let you know. It makes sense in a way.

reg10

Recruit

279458 is still available. It is for a 1972 and has two extra (white) wires for start-in-neutral protection. Just ignore the white wires, or connect them in series with the current white wire and have the start-in-neutral feature.
Look at the 1972 parts list:
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=fc502fad3f51ed0e319aa8bdd7efb79a

I ALSO HAVE 1972 EVENRUDE 100 HP. CAN NOT FIND TRANSMISSION SELECTOR SWITCH. THERE HAS TO BE ANOTHER KIND OF SWITCH THAT COULD BE USED. IM RUNNING IT IN FORWARD. AND STARTING IT ALSO IN FORWARD. THERE IS SOMEONE SMARTER THAN ME. THAT
CAN TELL ME HOW TO RIG THIS SWITCH. PLEASE
REG10

cmuzzy

Cadet

After tinkering with it 2 more times now it will "sometimes" goes into neutral 3 or 4 seconds after it gets started in the water but if I try to go in reverse it sounds like something is CLICKING but it doesn't switch into reverse. After going in forward for a minute it will not shift into anything it just stays in forward. It is surley not reliable. I tried adjusting the idle faster and slower and still no shifting.

I ran all new wires from the transmission switch to what was the knife connectors but now it is soldered to make sure I have a good connection.

The strange thing is every time I try to switch it while it is out of the water on muffs or in a barrel it goes into neutral and reverse without any hesitation and without any clicking. It baffels me. I topped off the type c oil and still no reverse. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

This sounds like a hydraulic problem to me. That said, there really shouldn't be any difference in shifting when the motor is in a barrel, as opposed to being tied to a dock.

The clicking that you heard when going into reverse at the dock, is probably from the clutch dog not seating completely in the reverse gear. What you are hearing is the "ears" on the dog, making light contact with the corresponding surface on the gear.

Your gearbox shifts by application of hydraulic pressure against a piston that moves one step aft to select neutral and an additional step aft to select reverse. There is a pump and a pair of poppet valves to create the hydraulic pressure and direct it as needed. The poppet valves are controled by the elecrical solenoids - which is why the system is called "hydroelectric." If the hydraulic pressure is insufficient or the piston is binding, you won't get the movement needed to place the cltuch dog in the proper position.

I would take F R's advice and see if the motor will shift properly with a little added throttle. Another thing that you might do is to flush the gearcase with automatic transmission fluid or kerosene a couple of times. Sometimes there is a bit of dirt built up, which can be flushed out in this manner. Run the motor a little during the flush applications and eventually replace with BRP Premium Blend (the current Type C equivalent) gear oil.

On the voltage test for the solenoids, make sure you are getting 1.5 to 2.0 amps for 10 minutes. If you are not, you probably have solenoid problems.

You may also have shift solenoids that are not properly adjusted. If so, make sure you have a proper manual for reference, before trying to adjust them.

???

reg10

Recruit

Hello I just bought a boat with a 1971 Evinrude 50173s 50hp engine. After testing it it would not shift into neutral or reverse. Then I did the test with the blue and green wire someone else metioned and I narrowed the proble to the transmission selector switch #0279090. I cannot find a replacement anywhere and most places on the web just say not available. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement I figured I could use a DPDT toggle switch, but i want to use that as a last resort. I am up for any suggestions. Thanks for advance for any imput.

I HAVE A 1972 EVENRUDE.HOW CAN YOU USE THE DPDT TOGGLE WSITCH?
I FOUND THE REPLACMENT BUT IT COST TO MUCH REG10:rolleyes: