Evinrude 50 1992

Alan Taylor

Cadet
Hi all,<br />new to the board so please bear with me.<br /><br />We have 2x50hp outboards on the boat, they both start first time when cold but here is our problem one engine won't electric start while it is still warm although my mate can start it with the rope/string.<br /><br />There is plenty of power (12.4volts) and it is getting enough fuel and oil.<br /><br />Albert has taken the starter motor off as he thinks there may be grease inside and that it melts when warm :confused: so he is going to clean it up a bit. We have just bought the boat so I can't work out why 1 motor should do (or not) it. :( and not the other.<br /><br />HELP appreciated :) <br /><br />Alan

D

DJ

Re: Evinrude 50 1992

Alan,<br /><br />The most common starter problems are actually not with the starter.<br /><br />Check the battery ground (negative) lead where it connects to the engine block. Actually take it off and clean it and the mounting bolt.

Alan Taylor

Cadet

DJ, thanks for that, Albert could find nothing wrong with the starter motor so we will try what you suggest on Wednesday. As a very non technical person it still seems strange to me that it works when cold but not when warm.<br /><br />Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes.<br /><br />Alan :)

Alan Taylor

Cadet

After we had put the starter motor back and removed the hydro whats its from the trim bit it was time to go fishing, I did ask my mate how about cleaning the terminal/connector, lets go fishing. :eek: <br />The motor atarted first time about 3 times than started playing up again, Albert then produced a cable which he connedted to the steering things either side of the engine and the other end to the negative terminal, bingo it worked so it seems that you were spot. Thanks, I am off to Wales and England for a fishing trip with friends from www.anglersnet.co.uk so Albert should have the problem sorted by the time I get back :D <br /><br />You were a big help so thanks again.<br /><br />Alan(nl)