Evinrude 4hp- recoil spring

Jerry81C

Cadet
Hi folks, I'm new to the site-I have been given what appears to be a 1981 4hp 2 cyl weedless motor. I have started going through things and waiting on manual to arrive. The recoil spring had been removed. How do you get this monster back in??? I have changed many on lawn mowers but this is a whole new animal any help would be great. The motor does not have a number plate so I took the number off of the freeze plug (E4WCIC E0001344) which gave me the 1981 4hp
Any advice or information would be great.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 4hp- recoil spring

I always had the special tool to do it with, but as I recall without the tool you hook the inner end of the spring onto the rope pulley and put it in position in the spring cup with the spring going through the slot (make sure the flat washer is in there). Then just start winding and the spring will suck itself in and coil up as you wind. Apply some light lube to it as it goes in.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I don't have a manual for a 1981 4hp, but if the manual is set up the same way as the one for my 1971 manual, there is a chapter dedicated solely to the starter. I highly recommend having a factory manual for every outboard model that a person owns and they can be purchased right here at iboats. Yes, that is a shameless plug for iboats. but what the heck, I like this place!

If you are in a hurry to get this done, however, PM me your email addy and I will scan the chapter from my manual later this evening - sorry, but I have to take the tyke to see Kung Fu Panda in a couple of minutes!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Got home a little while ago and took a look at the parts explosion for your motor - the recoil starter is completely different than mine, so my service manual won't be of help. One thing that I can telly you, however, is that the trick to winding up most of the recoil starters is to wind the flywheel, with the starter engaged, a certain number of turns. You'll have to get the correct manual for specifics.

Jerry81C

Cadet

Thanks, Managed to get it back in after three tries.