Evinrude 40hp carb problems?

Stephen_555

Cadet
Hey guys! This is my first post. I know I should wait until I have all my facts straight, but it may be a problem thats the same no matter what the year. I have a 40 hp Evinrude from the early 90's on an 18' alumaweld boat and it will not push it like it should. It runs good at idol, but I can unplug the bottom spark plug and nothing happens. If I unplug the top plug the motor shuts down. I can also cover carb with my hand (with silencer removed) and I get the some results, nothing on bottom, shut down on top. Coil is sending current (I felt it) but it may not be enough, however plug is firing. Where should I start coil, carb, what??? Thanks in advance.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 40hp carb problems?

Hey guys! This is my first post. I know I should wait until I have all my facts straight, but it may be a problem thats the same no matter what the year. I have a 40 hp Evinrude from the early 90's on an 18' alumaweld boat and it will not push it like it should. It runs good at idol, but I can unplug the bottom spark plug and nothing happens. If I unplug the top plug the motor shuts down. I can also cover carb with my hand (with silencer removed) and I get the some results, nothing on bottom, shut down on top. Coil is sending current (I felt it) but it may not be enough, however plug is firing. Where should I start coil, carb, what??? Thanks in advance.

If it's got seperate coils you could swap coils and see if the spark follows. Some have a coil assembly that you can't swap, it's a one piece unit, this motor may be one of them. A model number off the motor would help with the guesswork.

Welcome to Iboats!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I'm with BK on this. Model number would be a great starting point.

Stephen_555

Cadet

I will get the information and post it later today, motor is at work. Thanks for the replys.

Stephen_555

Cadet

Well guys this lead me to another problem! I've looked every where. Tag with info. is missing. I can see where it was, but its gone. Is there any where else I can look to get the info.?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well guys this lead me to another problem! I've looked every where. Tag with info. is missing. I can see where it was, but its gone. Is there any where else I can look to get the info.?

Look on the powerhead for what looks like a frost plug, has a number stamped into it. A phone call to an Evinrude dealer with the number may allow them to look up the motor. You sure it's not missing and just been painted over, side of the transom clamp held on with 2 wee nuts?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the info., it worked. Motor is a 1996, 40hp.

They made "16" 1996 40hp motors, which model is it? And of those 16 these were variations on the ignition system, Rope Start, Electric start which were EL, TL,TTL and a 40 "TE" model. Just don't want to go down the wrong path.

Stephen_555

Cadet

E40TLEDS, thats all I was told, anything past this will only be a guess!

bktheking

Vice Admiral

They made "16" 1996 40hp motors, which model is it? And of those 16 these were variations on the ignition system, Rope Start, Electric start which were EL, TL,TTL and a 40 "TE" model. Just don't want to go down the wrong path.

Check compression forgot to mention that one, may be electric or mechanical.

OK- first for the "free" checks.

Switch plug's and/or wires and see if it follows the lead.

Check all wiring and wiring connectors for corrosion, check grounds for corrosion as well.

Check the coil for cracks, remove it from the motor is you can't see it completely.

If you still can't find out the issue pull the flywheel and look for loose or cracked magnets. Check the strength of each magnet by holding a screwdriver near it.

Next you get into testing powerpacks and trigger coils and all those goodies in the following:

http://www.cdielectronics.com/downl...ing Guide 2009 - OMC 2 Cylinder 1978-2006.pdf

Some tests will work with a normal meter, some will require you to purchase a DVA adapter to test high voltage.

Stephen_555

Cadet

Awesome info! Thanks for all the help. I'll make a post after I figure out whats wrong.......or create another :D