Evinrude 40 idle?? THANK YOU!!!

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I wanted to thank all the folks who helped me with my issue. The engine is running fine. Again, Thank you! The advice was totally accurate and meaningful.<br /><br /><br />I got my new/used boat to start. It wouldn't stay running, I figured it was fuel. I rebuilt both carbs and put it back together, primed it, and it fired up. It wouldn't stay running at first. I made sure the vent was open on my fuel can and tried again. I got the boat to run but I had to keep my hand on the throttle giving just a hair of gas. My question is this-- With everything in place now-- new NGK plugs, changed the gear oil, new gas, new gas can and fuel line, and now rebuilt carbs, what is it I need to do get it tuned right. I didn't mess with any jet screws because it will idle with my hand on the throttle. I also have the engine manual which walked me through it.<br /><br />Any advice at this point would be greatly appreciated!

ob

Admiral
Re: Evinrude 40 idle?? THANK YOU!!!

What year 40 is it? Champion plugs are recommended in your engine.

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Should I change back the Champion plugs? Will the NGK hurt it?<br /><br />The 40 is an 1989. One more question-- If the motor is under a load instead of running off my hose will that cause it to behave differently and essentially make it idle as it should?

ob

Admiral

Outboards tend to idle easier on hose than submerged due to exhaust back pressure.So no ,I think your idle issue would be worse in water.Before advising on carburetor adjustments to allieviate your idle problem ,the first thing I would do is to perform a compression test to determine the health of both cylinders.Healthy numbers would be 100psi or more and within 10 % of one another.

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Compression is good at 124 and 122. Engine has about 30 total hours on it and sat for a period of 7 years. The carbs were rebuilt and it was run for a few hours summer of 2003. Then it sat until I bought it last week. So, I've got good spark, good compression, I have fuel, and when I had it started I cranked it up a few times and she roared pretty well. I'm used to the two stroke from working on jet skis. <br /><br />Now what?

ob

Admiral

Next it's down to fuel/air delivery through idle circuit and or carb / linkage adjustments.Without looking I can only assume that there are absolutely no restrictive deposits within the carburetors and that the floats are set properly.What do the sparkplugs look like after repeatedly attempting to get the engine to hold idle.Are they wet/dry? I'm not familiar with the carb idle circuit on your engine of whether it has fixed or adjustable needles for idle mix.If adjustable , open them from lightly seated to two turns open and fine tune from there.Each engine will have its own sweet spot for final setting.Follow the link and synch procedure in your manual as well.Can you keep it runnning longer by initiating the fuel primer?If so it's starving at idle.Will the fuel primer bulb pump up firm and hold before starting?

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The fuel bulb is firm when it's running. I admit I didn't have the vent open the first time around. When I took the carbs apart there was a bunch of crap in there. I blasted them out with carb cleaner and dried with compressed air. I haven't checked the plugs. I'll check tonight. I did mess with the screws on the carbs and found that the place they both started at was the most ideal setting. When I turned in a hair or out a hair it wouldn't start. <br /><br />I'll move the linkage setting. I didn't know there was one. <br /><br />I have to start it using the primer. It's an electric primer that activates by pushing in the key. (not sure if that's what you meant) <br /><br />I guess the first shot is to pull the plugs after running it. I'm thinking they need to be a carmel color like my jet skis were?<br /><br />As far as the floats go, I flipped both carbs upside down and made sure the floats were level.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets get some Champion plugs in there before we have to start looking up piston prices.

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by Bill Collector:<br /> I have to start it using the primer. It's an electric primer that activates by pushing in the key. (not sure if that's what you meant)
Yep.That's what I was refering to.<br /><br />To determine the exact placement of both mix screws just lightly seat them in a clockwise direction counting the exact turns until lightly seated.That will give you a reference to where they are set in comparison to the other and how far they are now opened.<br /><br />Also on the fuel primer bulb,I'm more concerned as to whether it will pump up and hold before starting rather than how firm it is while idling.If it won't pump up and hold with a steady light squeeze of the bulb,there may be a fuel leak or float needles are not holding.

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK so I have a few things to do. Let me get new plugs and seat the mix screws, and then return the screws to their settings.<br /><br />The primer bulb holds pressure. <br /><br />I didn't know using NGK would be detrimental! Thanks!

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That point you made about a very touchy needle adjustment is important. It should not be that touchy. Fuel jets still a little blocked or float level or wrong parts put in during it's life. Carefully count the turns as you back out the needle completly. Look closely at the taper. Is there a complete tip ? You know other engine adjustments. Is this REALLY touchy ?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

First! the engine has to be in proper sync before making any adjustments on the needles, such as the throttle plates must be completely closed. If making any slight adjustment on the needles makes the engine hard to start, this suggests that the idle circuit still is not flowing fuel. When you cleaned the carbs, did you take them completely apart, including the jets, and core plugs. What make carb kits did you use?

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got in my office thrilled to see more posts on this and thank all of you for your helpful advice.<br /><br />Let me start here- I changed the plugs from NGK to Champion last night. I did another compression test and both cylinders are over 120. (THANK GOD!) I fired it up and she'll start no problem and run off the prime and then die. If I pump the throttle (it's a hot foot) and give it a hair of gas I can get it to run, but it's not as smooth as I'd like. I turned in both mix screws until GENTLY seated and then backed them out first 1.5, 2.0, 2..25 turns. It ran best at 2.25 turns but still won't hold an idle without my hitting the gas. If I crank it up and rev it, the motor sounds great, but will die out. <br /><br />So obviously I have a fuel problem. <br /><br />To answer the questions and hopefully get me on the road to recovery--<br /><br />1. Small turns in the mix screw will affect it's starting back up. Both screws are exactly the same amount of turns out.<br /><br />2. When I cleaned the carbs, I did not take the mix screw out of them. I didn't do it because my book doesn't give good directions and also I thought the amount of carb clean I used would clear anything up. <br /><br />3. R Johnson---I did take everything in the carbs apart and replaced everything I could EXCEPT the mix screw. (dumb move on my part and thank you for pointing me there) <br /><br />I don't know the name of the carb kit. It says Johnson/Evinrude Bombardier on it and I got it from a local dealer here in Raleigh.<br /><br />I DO have a few O rings left from the kit and I didn't know where they should go with no directions. When I back out the Mix screw I imagine it will be like my jet ski carbs in a way. <br /><br />Please Please Keep the thoughts coming! <br /><br />I

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You used the proper kit, The O-rings, if I am not mistaken go around the idle mix screw's, put those in. Pumping the hot foot throttle will do nothing, there is no accelerator pump on these carbs.

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll back out the screws tonight and go at it. SHould only take a minute. Think any damage will be done if I fire some carb clean in there when they're out?

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought.<br />Are all the fuel lines and connectors in good condition? If the engine sat for 7 years, maybe they became hard and cracked? If you are sucking air in somewhere, you won't be able to adjust the carbs properly.<br /><br />Good luck<br />Steve

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wanted to thank all of you for helping me! I removed my mix screws and blasted the carbs out with carb clean. Installed the screws and the fired up the motor. She idled like a champ!!!<br /><br />Thank you very much!