Evinrude 3.6 question

honedout

Cadet
I have an opportunity to pick up a 1987 3.6 evinrune 300 hp for a great price for my SeaRay 26ft project boat. The motor was used commercially at a river dredging company. The previous owner says the engine hr meter showed 2211 hrs when the motor was removed from the vessel it was on 3 yrs ago. I was able to check compression on all 8 and came up with <br />1-115<br />2-118<br />3-115<br />4-110<br />5-105<br />6-120<br />7-115<br />8-105<br /><br /> My main question is are there any particular problems i should look for on these motors other then high fuel consumption. Like certain elect problems i have been told about. Also a person at a local OMC shop said some of the 3.6 motors were notorious for breaking cranks if overrevved even once. Any truth to that?

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 3.6 question

It's true, some cranks were broken. I doubt that any where broken from a single over-rev, but i suppose it depends on how "over" it went.<br /><br />I wouldn't trust an engine with that many hours. Not without a complete overhaul.<br /><br />If money was no object, I would hope for a pair of something a little more conservative. Maybe even still in production... Wouldn't a pair of 150s look spiffy!

honedout

Cadet

Yea i considered a pair but for the $500.00 asking price of this motor i am leaning towards getting it. I have a control box ready to go on it and all i lack is a steering cable. Thanks for the input.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Compression is good. That would tell me that the engine has plenty of life left.<br /><br />For half a grand it sounds like a bargain.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We raced V8 in offshore and never saw a broken crank. The V8's are amazing motors when set up properly. Set them up like a V6 and you'll be very disapointed. Set them up like they should be and you'll be totally amazed.<br /><br />The rev limiter on a 3.6 XP is at 6700. Set it up as close to that as you can. <br /><br />Fantastic motors!