Evinrude 200 water pressure

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all. I have that '91 Evinrude on a Stratos I bought last fall. Model number for the Evinrude is VE200SLEID.<br /><br />The water pressure gauge doesn't move unless I'm going 5000 rpms. Then it might show 5 or 10. Now the water comes out of the tell tale great. Water pump is working it's cooling like it's supposed to.<br /><br />I pulled the line of the gauge and no water was coming out. At first I was thinking a plugged line somewhere. Pulled cowling and looked at connection. It has a "T" fitting on the tell tale line. The tell tale runs straight through the "T" and the water pressure gauge is on the "T" side of the fitting. Seeing that water follows the path of least resistance it would make sense that I'm not showing any water pressure.Does that sound right?<br />I was thinking that I might need to reverse those two lines so it runs to the pressure gauge and backs up and then forces the water out the tell tale. When I start the motor, water comes out of the tell tale immediately and that's the only place water comes out on this evinrude. It has what appears to be a "slot" on the back that I thought would exhaust water when warm but I've never seen it do that and the mechanic said the tell tale is the only place this evinrude will exhaust water.<br /><br />Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be clear about this so you know what I'm talking about. The gauge not working is not hurting me, but it could let me know of a potential problem if I'm not paying attention to the motor at some point. Like to see if I can fix it before the mechanic charges me.<br /><br />Also, this boat is extremely stern heavy from the dual tanks, batteries and outboard with a low transom for the swim platform.(Stratos 290 S/F)<br />Would one of those hydrofoils help?On choppy lake water it will start porpoising bad unless I trim the motor way in and even then it may do it if I'm carrying 4 adults or more. So I'm wondering if they will work. I've heard you have to be careful with the bigger motors with electric trim. The foils can cause problems if the trim isn't set just right.<br />Thanks

D

DJ

Re: Evinrude 200 water pressure

stratos,<br /><br />Water is not supposed to reach your guage. Only air pressure. <br /><br />Water pressure is a factor of the smallest orifice in the system. In your case, it is the orifice in the engine pan that the telltale hose hooks to. If you block that telltale, you'll see the pressure climb dramaticaly. You might want to check with the local John/Rude dealer to see if there is a smaller orifice available.<br /><br />Yes, the fin will help with your porpoising situation.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

djohns19 is right. Sounds like the tattletale orfice iz to big. My 200hp 'rude has 18psi water pressure at wfo (6000rpm). If your dealer is no help, lemme know and I'll measure my tt orfice and let ya know what it is.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. I'll check it out and let ya know what I find.