Evinrude 1990 e90tlesb high idle & low top end

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Took my resto out on her maden voyage last night for about an hour and I'm running into a couple engine issues. It starts right up but idles at 1500rpm and 1000rpm while in gear and sputters or misses every 10 seconds consistantly while idling in gear. As for top end she would only go to 5000rpm @ 39mph on gps. Toward the end of the ride it would only go up to 4500rpm and started to stall at idle in gear as we got to the dock but restarts right off the bat. I have the manual, did the link & sync per the top secret files here but I'm not exactly sure what to look at next. I rebuilt the carbs last year and recently disconnected the VRO. Ran good on muffs and the idle was of course high but wanted to test in the water before doing anything else. The prop looks like the original (I will check this) and is in excellent shape. Gas is 3 weeks old but treated with marine stabil and the 12 gallons in it also has a can of sea foam. I'm thinking of timing, poorly adjusted floats, vacume leak and or fuel pump diaphram. Thoughts?

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/randor88/?action=view&current=DSCF3229.mp4

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Evinrude 1990 e90tlesb high idle & low top end

The timing advance lever was loose and almost totally unscrewed. That must have been the culpret of the increase in rough running as time whent on. Still not sure what to do about the high idle. Any input would be appreciated.