Evinrude 1977 55hp - hard to cold start

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Evinrude 1977 55hp, it is really hard to cold start; it doesn't even sound like it kicking. I've tried a couple of dfferent starting procedures, <br />Procedure A...<br />Fast idle up<br />Key in to choke <br />turn key till it kicks<br />let go of key<br /><br />Procedure B....<br />No fast idle, but choke<br /><br />Procedure C.... only one seems to work<br />No fast idle, no choke<br />crank until it fires or battery goes flat (giving starter chance to cool every 5 secs)<br />Once kicks quick staps at choke, and go for a bit of fast idle.<br /><br />I find often if you leave it for 10mins then try again you may get a kick.<br /><br />The engine will then run without a miss all day, and restarting after 5min or 4 hours is always first touch of key. Up till 2 days its good for starts.<br /><br />I have used carby cleaner sprayed into both carbs, <br />New spark plugs, <br />Decarbed the engine, <br />Tried higher/lower octane fuel, <br />Battery is holding 12.65v, cranking at 10.8v

angus63

Captain
Re: Evinrude 1977 55hp - hard to cold start

Do you squeeze the fuel bulb until it gets hard? Have you verified your choke is closing the butterflies completely (or at all)? Have you tried to spray a little premix in each carb throat? Have you tried a different fuel tank and fuel line? Are you sure the tank is venting properly? Try a few of these and report what happens.<br />Good luck

angus63

Captain

Do you squeeze the fuel bulb until it gets hard? Have you verified your choke is closing the butterflies completely (or at all)? Have you tried to spray a little premix in each carb throat? Have you tried a different fuel tank and fuel line? Are you sure the tank is venting properly? Try a few of these and report what happens.<br />Good luck

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep always check fuel bulb, it stays hard between trips. Choke flaps both carbs work fully closed. Tried all 3 tanks / lines I have. Tried leaving cap off the tank, and lifting tank higher up. Sprayed WD40 into carbs, I'll give the 2-stroke mix ago, a bit later on today. <br /><br />Also checked for spark by holding plug next to engine. <br /><br />Will let you know how the 2-stroke works.

angus63

Captain

New wd-40 has no propane and does not aid starting anymore. Do not use ether. A mist of premix should do the trick. Are you sure the floats in the carbs are set correctly and holding?<br />You also may have a flooded cyl if the bowl is emptying fuel over a period of time. Maybe it's time to rip open the carbs and give them a rebuild. Good luck

Qld_Kev

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The 2stroke fuel didn't do the job. I'm thinking maybe a too weak spark. But it is ok once you get the first start?

angus63

Captain

When the motor is cold, try removing plugs, make sure wires aren't near ground, and crank for 5-10 seconds. Replace plugs and try to start. If that doesn't work, check to see if spark can jump a min 1/4 gap with a blue/white sharp spark. If not, try cleaning all coil connection (especially grounds). If not, use manual to test powerpack and stator to find the culprit.<br />Good luck

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

This may, or may not help, but it might.<br /><br />There were some motors that really needed to spin to achieve a good spark. <br /><br />That being said, you may try a fresh STARTING TYPE battery as I've seen some batteries after they have been run down a couple of times (especially the dedicated deep cycle type) that can add to starting issues if the motor is sensitive to starting RPM. They seem to be happy cranking the motor forever but just not fast enough.<br /><br />Anyway I would suggest the fast idle lever partially raised.<br /><br />Then push in key while cranking till it catches. Release key push momentarily. Then while it is still just getting started keep pushing in and releasing the key, activating the choke momentarily till it will run on it's own.