Evinrude 185hp piston holes.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,<br /><br /> I'm thinking about buying a 1985 185hp Evinrude. It runs well, but when the owner was checking out the thermostats he noticed two holes in the #6 piston. I would really like to buy this motor and would like to know if this is would be a really complicated task for a novice, or a possibility for me to complete? He wants $500, the piston would cost about $110 and the gasket set around $150 I believe. Sound like a ripoff or no? He paid $3500 for it a month before he put it on his boat. I know the lower unit alone is worth quite abit. How would you go about repairing something like this, part it out or worth it to fix? Thanks!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 185hp piston holes.

Run Forrest, RUN....bargains are in other places

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How does it run well with holes in a piston?<br /><br />I am going to risk being sincere, blunt, and honest all at the same time. (I am NOT trying to belittle you in any way)<br /><br />If you think it runs well, then you need a good mechanic to be your second opinion. A third party, especially one that knows what he's hearing/seeing can be invaluable. For sure if you aren't picking up on missing cylinders, etc...

rayjay

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do you get 2 holes in one piston?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Maybe a stretch but something about this dosen't sit right "but when the owner was checking out the thermostats he noticed two holes in the #6 piston." Makes no sense so I wonder what else he wasn't telling you.<br /><br />If you don't run as Rob suggests at least get a second opinion as Rabid suggests.<br /><br />What he put into it has no bearing at this point.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a simple rule for buying used. If the paint is or looks original, bolt and screw heads have no marks, pans and covers perfect AND it runs perfect. I MIGHT take a chance.----------------My money is perfect.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, thanks guys. Sounds like I've been enlightened. To be honest I thought a couple things were a little weird to, like the fact that he doesn't want to fix it but is mechanic himself. In response to Rabid, I've never actually heard it run, he said it ran fine. Got his bass boat flying at 72mph. So thats just his word I'm taking there. Again, thanks for the info.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Jay - Unfortunately we get posts where the buyer says that the seller said it runs just fine but needs a little tune-up. Then the problems start and are often solved $3,000.00 later. Let the buyer beware - - -- -

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a little tune upmay be 3000 dollars but some times a little adjustment goes to 3500 :) . your estimates on the piston replacement were off by about 1500 dollars. the piston did not just dissolve. that I will warrenty. its just the symptom of another subsystem failure. most likly a lack of maint failure.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

off course you can replace the piston spend money on that.<br />and you can take her appart and rebuild for about 1500 depents on what else you have to replace.<br /><br />the fact is you might get the wholes back in the same piston and probbebly thats the reason the mechanic didnt want to rapair anymore.<br />check out if its rebuild before.<br /><br />reeldutch

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by JayH:<br /> I've never actually heard it run, he said it ran fine. Got his bass boat flying at 72mph.
Ya know that sounds similar to what happened to me. Had a 150XS Merc that I would kick the timing up for a race, and run race gas. Crank her back and run regular for playtime. Of course, one day you forget, and get a funny looking spark plug, and it aint so fast no more. Of course I didn't try to sell it to someone saying it ran fine until.............you know the rest. And I don't care if pistons cost a nickel. Time, labor, and gaskets add up REAL quick