Evinrude 15hp Powerpack

rupertmja

Seaman
I have recently acquired two old half dead 15hp motors and want to revive at least one of them. Trouble shooting on my blue one (AE15BACDE) I think the powerpack is knackered. No sparks and both coils and the stator seem OK - resistance check etc as per manual. So, I go over to my white one (J15BAEIA) and guess what - no powerpack. However, only 4 wires come out from under the flywheel: 2 orange ones go straight to the coils, the other two to the kill switch (There are also three yellows for ac power that end in dead ends - not used). In my manual there are no wiring diagrams for models like this. What's more, the flywheel nut won't budge so I can't take a look. Is the powerpack under the flywheel on my white one? At first check, no sparks on hte white one either.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 15hp Powerpack

AE15BACDE - 1986 15hp Evinrude - Remove the black/yellow wire from the powerpack (kill circuit). Remove the spark plugs. Crank engine. Do you have spark now?

J15BAEIA - 1991 15hp Johnson - The powerpack is incorporated as a component attached to the timer base under the flywheel. Check the spark as per the above paragraph.

Let us know what you find.

Cox

Seaman

I have a 1991 Evinrude 25HP and I'm looking for some 15HP decals for it. How attached are you to the decals on your 15HP Blue 'Rude? Sorry, I know this isn't helping to answer your question at all I've just been looking for quite some time and figured it was worth a try.

rupertmja

Seaman

I disconnected the kill switch on my newer motor andsame result - still no spark.

Rupert
PS My decals have certainly seen better days - very ragged. Not worth it at all.