Evinrude 140 Trim/tilt

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gents,<br /><br />2 items for help please.<br /><br />From fully down my engine sometimes takes a while from operating the pump until it starts to move upwards. This isn't every time just sometimes, and then only when it is fully down. The pump or motor (I don't know which) makes a strange noice, louder than normal, before normal sound and movement appears. Never happens when it is in any other position other than fully down. I have lots of spare parts if needed.<br /><br />The other think is that I have put on new engine covers. The one I have has a switch which allows for the engine to be raised/lowered whilst standing next to the engine. I would like to connect the wires on the switch (3) but no idea where these would go. But I know a man who surely would :))<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />NG

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Evinrude 140 Trim/tilt

Still not sure of your engine, so......is this what you have for a relay box? Its getting late here so we'll continue tomorrow...<br /><br />
relays.jpg

D

DJ

Ngriff1,<br /><br />1. Sounds like your pump is low on fluid. Can be affected by temperature. Tilt the engine all the way up and add fluid in the BIG screw on the trim pump located between the engine mount brackets. Cycle all the way up and down about five times-repeat if necessary.<br /><br />2. The trim switch has three wires, look at Schematics' diagram/picture. Follow your wires from your existing trim switch and add three to the terminals for the new switch. You can splice anywhare that is convenient.<br /><br />By the way, nice pic., Schematic. I wouldn't expect anything less :cool:

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great help guys. Easiest thing to do is to check the fluid first.<br /><br />Regarding the diagram. I have never seen a box like that anywhere on the engine. I will look more closely tonight.<br /><br />Only 3 wires, then it shouldn't be a problem to splice into those somewhere near the pump motor and seal.<br /><br />Let u know the findings.<br /><br />NG

petryshyn

Commander

NGRIFF1 <br /><br />I wouldn't be splicing into the wires near the TNT motor. There is a relay or solenoid(pending on system) used to power that puppy. Your itty bitty switch will fail under the heavy load. The itty bitty switch must control a relay or you're in pupe...... <br /><br />Follow the wires from the TNT motor and see where they end up (at a relay box or solenoid that looks like a hockey puck)<br /><br />let us know....<br /> :)

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Schematic,<br /><br />Good call. Quick way for a melt down. I will do some tracing.<br /><br />My life seems to be spent tracing at the moment.<br /><br />Anyone any ideas where I can get a manual shipped to Oman will be worth a rear Admiral rank :D

petryshyn

Commander

I'd be trying e-bay......lots of manuals for cheap shipped world wide.....<br /><br />Better hurry.........4 hours left!!!<br />click me

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Schematic, DJ<br /><br />Thanks for the heads up on the manual. I was too late by a couple of hours. I will keep my eyes peeled.<br /><br />I have successfully wired in the additional switch. Thanks for the advide. Found the correct terminals inside the relay cover.<br /><br />I checked fluid level. Full.<br /><br />I think the noise is coming from the pump. With my new switch I can cycle easily. I was looking to replace the unit with a spare but it looks pretty inaccessable with the engine mounted. Can't get to all the screws. Is it a job for a removed engine ? Surely it can't be ??<br /><br />NG

petryshyn

Commander

I think I may have found you a new manual for $15 U.S.........interested?

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

schematic,<br /><br />Yes please.<br /><br />NG

petryshyn

Commander

NGRIFF1:<br /><br />Give me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you the guys name and 'e' address so you can deal directly. He agrees to ship to you. <br /><br /><br />good luck!

Gavaletz

Recruit

Does anyone know the name or part number for the switch NGRIFF1 was asking about is his second question? I have a 1989 60 hp Evinrude (TE60TLCEA) and my switch is bad. All I could find on the internet is a pan mount trim switch (585146, $36), but no picture to verify this is the correct switch.<br />Thanks, AJ