Evinrude 140 Planning to do ring job

Andrec4016

Seaman
Well, I was planning on taring down the power head of 83' 140 v4 Evinrude because #1 cylinder has low compression 50 psi, went to the shop to get power head gasket kit and the guy tells me not to waste my time. new rings won't help if anything it will make it worst, due to the fact that the cylinders worn down oval and the new rings will be round?? the only fix would be to bore out cylinder and over size piston.. any truth to this... need to fix this soon thanks to all

Walker

Captain
Re: Evinrude 140 Planning to do ring job

Could be true, but you can't just state that. Holes need to be miked and checked for round. A good machine shop should do that for you at not to high of price.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 140 Planning to do ring job

yep<br /> do it all do it right or buy beer intead. either way if not done correctly youll be pissing money.<br /> bore it replace the rings and aall bearings and seals the top bearing if in good shape and the center main is about the only ones I reuse. replace the rod bolts and the oil pump. rebuild the carbs and associated fuel lines. replace the water pump and t-stats. I always reseal the gearcase at the same time. check the flywheel carefully for loose magnets if applicable. replace the gaskets under the reed boxes. its expensive but much less is a patch and patches are more prone to blowouts. its actually quite rare to see a standard bore. most are egged and or tapered. the max allowable is about .003 from nominal standard bore size.<br /> but you need to determine the cause of the first failure so ya dont repeat it. loss of compression is the final symptom of another engine subsystems degradation or failure.