Evinrude 140 New head Gasket?

Andrec4016

Seaman
Newbee here so be gentle, Just bought a 83 19 ft Manatee cuddy with evinrude 83 v4 140hp E140TRLCTE previous owner had for some time and the last fall when he took it out it was running rought cutting out in idle, so he took it in thinking it may be time for a tune up, the mechanic said its not worth fixing and to buy a new engine because it had a scratch in the cylinder with low compression, the scratch or score was at the top of the cylinder not with in the piston and the last owner thinks it can be fixed by replacing the head gasket. any thoughts on this, waiting on shop manual to work on the engine.. :(

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 140 New head Gasket?

most likly its blown up. head gaskets are cheap but if the cyl is scared it wont last very long. <br /> I hate it when they bring it in for a tune up. means the dang things broke. if I had a dollar for every time I hear all it needs is a little adjustment I would have retired some time ago.

Laddies

Banned

If it is not in the area that the rings travel he could be right, it depends on what caused the scratch, how deep it is and if the rings are damaged, good luck

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Andre - Did the mechanic do a compression check & if so post the results here? Did he pull the heads? If so can you post some pictures?<br /><br />Oh and WELCOME!

Andrec4016

Seaman

I don't have the reads from the compression test I'm going to do the test myself and as the scratch I did see it, the location was the top of the cylinder head no way near the piston travel area, and no loud or weird noise came from the engine when on.. just cuts out on idle

Andrec4016

Seaman

Well I'm back again.. funny here I am ready to do the compression test and I realized I don't have specs for the read.. I have the manual but it does not have anything on what the compression reading should be.. the engine is a E140TRLCTE 99.6 cu in disp looking for lbs

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no specs other than all must be within 10 psi of each other.

G DANE

Commander

If you find something around 125 - 135 everything is really fine, but over 100 and within 10-12 on all and it will run fine. They came out around 140 when broken in.