Evinrude 115SPL Fuel primer problem

Bushleaguer

Seaman
Evinrude E115TSLEU. I thought I had a problem with the fuel primer solenoid. I was getting no fuel at startup when depressing the key. Engine would start and run normally when you would move the throttle wide open a couple times before starting. I was getting no "click" noise from the primer pump when depressing key. Took to mechanic to check and he replaced my primer bulb, which I just replaced at the end of last year with an OMC origional. He said the solenoid was fine. I did make a change to the fuel system by running a second supply line to the water seperator/filter (the boat was set up for twins, but I'm running a single- I ran a line from each port to supply the filter- I made no change from the filter to the engine- which is where the primer bulb is.) Would this fuel line setup cause a priming problem, or is my mechanic just misdiagnosing an intermittent solenoid problem??<br /><br />Thanks for any help!

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude 115SPL Fuel primer problem

I don't know what the problem is but moving the throttle back and forth before starting only moves the throttle back and forth it doesn't prime the engine like a car because there isn't an accelerator pump. Does the fuel line bulb pump up till it gets firm?

ob

Admiral

Don't understand exactly what you are asking.Do you just have a cold startup problem?The fuel line routing would have absolutely nothing to do with whether the primer solenoid would work or not.Does your primer bulb get firm when you pump it several times?Does the electric solenoid still not click when the key is pushed in?

Bushleaguer

Seaman

I was on about my 10th drift when I got a no start. It was a particularly long drift, so I pumped the bulb and it really didn't get firm. I usually hear a click when depressing the primer switch on the key, and was not hearing it. I disconnected the fuel line and pumped the bulb. I got a steady and strong stream of gas. I re-connected and tried again and still no start. Then, I put the throttle to almost wide open while cranking and got a sputter. After trying different throttle positions (mostly wide open) I finally got it started. I went in before having to be towed. I let it sit for a few hours, then came back. I got the primer solenoid to click after tapping on it, but still no start. Then, I pumped it to wide open 2 times and hit the key. It fired right up. I then pulled the boat and took it to the repair shop thinking it was a bad primer solenoid or pump. After waiting 3 weeks for them to look at it, they finally called today to tell me that they were changing the primer bulb. I'm not buying it, mostly because of the intermittent clicking and not clicking when hitting the primer pump switch. (It has always clicked when activated since I bought the motor in 1997.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Ahh now I see! I believe you have 1 or more floats sticking open and flooding the engine. That is why giving it full throttle helps. A flooded engine needs an open throttle to help air it out. I think you need to have the float valves replaced as part of a carb rebuild. I don't think your primers have any thing to do with it.

ob

Admiral

Sounds like you may have two issues involved with your problem.#1 is the primer solenoid.You either have an intermittent problem within the solenoid itself or the problem lies between the key switch and the solenoid.#2 If the primer bulb never gets firm when you initially pump it ,your carburetor float needle valve or valves may not be seating,allowing excess fuel through.The fact that the engine will seem to start when you actuate the throttle flaps open ,allowing more air in for combustion would also support this possibility.<br /><br />Inspect the wiring from the key switch to the primer solenoid.<br />I would also recommend removing carbs and installing new kits.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Is there an echo in here here here? :D

Bushleaguer

Seaman

Thanks guys-- You'd think a professional OB mechanic would pick up on that rather than telling me I need a $20 primer bulb and charging me 2 hours labor :confused: Oh well, I guess I'll pick up the boat and get out my manual.<br /><br />Thanks again!!

ob

Admiral

I think you and me jimd must be on the same wavelength.After I finished pecking out my last post and read yours ,the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. :D