evinrude 115 running hot

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman
hey i started up my evinrude and 5 min later the buzzer in the throttle went off, i shut the motor down and felt the motor. Two of the cylnders were VERY HOT and the other two were fine. the two in question are the two on the driver side(i just replaced a coil over there) i know little about this motor so ANYTHING will help me. i was hoping to take boat out this weekend so please hurry.<br /><br />Steve

angus63

Captain
Re: evinrude 115 running hot

Motor year???? Model?????<br />First,when was the water pump last changed?<br />Can you see water from the telltale?<br />Are you certain hot side is getting fuel&oil?<br />Driver's side is port or stbd? Center console? ;)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Check T-Stat on starboard side.. Believe it has one for each bank of cylinders.

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

ok srry its a 1979? sea horse 115. the pump is working cause its shooting water. pretty sure its getting gas to the hot side cause its running smooth. on the thermo what does it look like and where is it?<br /><br />Steve

Hooty

Rear Admiral

You're gonna need a manual.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Steve - If you have to drop the boat in the water this weekend use oars for power and leave the keys for the motor at home. <br /><br />Just because you see water shooting does not mean that cooling water is going through the water passages inside of the motor. You have a blockage and need to clear it and the thermostats are a good place to start and Hooty's advice is the very best - do the T-stats with a manual (OMC specific for your motor). Look here:<br /><br /> http://www.theoutboardwizard.bizhosting.com/parts_service_and_owners_manuals.html <br /><br />Doing the T-stats yourself is a pain as they are not easy to get to (they are under a cover between the two banks of cylinders at the base of the motor). You can replace them without removing the powerhead as some shops will tell you has to be done. Get out your wallet and be prepared to turn it upside down and shake vigerously if you take it to a shop.<br /><br />Lots of info on this if you check out the red search at the top of the page but get the manual.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

yep they will charge you about 400 dollars but you can do the job for less than 50.<br />it is tricky bud possible.<br />i chaged the tstats today but are leaking have to try again tomorow.<br />bud i'm sure i can do the job.<br />and once you know how to do this you can do it every year or every other year.<br /><br />good luck reeldutch

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

ok i gots more questions!! first could a bad coil cause this or maybe if two coils were switched??<br />next i took off my heads and caps and cleand all the passages but they wernt that dirty. and when i took off the heads i saw fuel in the cylnder so im getting gas. and if im getting a strong stream outa mt pee hole does that mean my pump is working???<br />thx again <br /><br />Steve

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Steve....The tell-tale doesn't run through the block, it is just a bypass so that you can see water pumping out,it's almost pointless, water pressure gauges are much better. If the pump was weak it would still make a decent stream even if there wasn't enough water going through the block. Deffinetely start with the t-stats and do the water pump also. The water pump should be changed evrery 2 or 3 seasons. Good luck.

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

k i checked the t stats and they are fine so i guess its pump time. i thought that was it to start with but ive never done it b4 and i dont know what im doing but its time to learn. how much will the pump run me?<br /><br />Steve

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

If you have the stats out you might as well just replace them and know they are new and good. I think a water pump is about $30+ or-.

ReelDrag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 92 Johnson 115. If I let it sit to long without starting, the t-stats will stick closed. Doesn't seem to matter if they are new or not. After the alarm goes off and I shut it down, I can hear the t-stats pop open. Still trying to figure that one out.

ReelDrag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 92 Johnson 115. If I let it sit to long without starting, the t-stats will stick closed. Doesn't seem to matter if they are new or not. After the alarm goes off and I shut it down, I can hear the t-stats pop open. Still trying to figure that one out.

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

ok well i got the gear case mostly off so since i have to replace gaskets i sould replace pump. ok now i got a prob with getting the gear case off! i followed the instructions in the manual and i got it almost off but its stuck on somthing it looks like its the rod that drives the prop cause when i turn the gearcase a lil the flywheel moves. im sure i missed somthing in the instructions but can u guys tell me what i missed.<br />gee this is the hard way to learn boat motors wait till u got a prob and take whole darn thing apart.<br /><br />thx again<br /><br />Steve

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Disconnect the shift rod just below the carbs - it is covered in the OMC manual.