Evinrude 115 Prop

I have an 82 Evinrude 115 on a 171/2 fiberglass 1983 Glassmaster runabout. The current prop on there is 13x19 SS. I generally use the boat for cruising in the harbor with a few friends and fish/ski occasionally. It has power tilt/trim. Is this the best prop for my needs? The tach said 5200 at WOT but it is the original one and I am not sure how accurate it is.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Evinrude 115 Prop

A Tach is cheaper than buying the wrong prop......twice...I'd install a new tach, verify the numbers and we'll go from there.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't buy a new until you've verified the one you have is inaccurate. Check the calibration dial on the back. If its set wrong, reset it and re-verify. If still incorrect, then buy a new tach.

walleyehed

Admiral

There is a calibration screw and a pole setting screw on some tachs...DO NOT touch the calibration screw!!!! The Big knob/slot is the correct screw to set (check) for proper settings.<br />upinsmoke is right though, if you can have the tach verified, that will work as well...I suggested new due to the fact your tach is now 24yrs old.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

my frend's checkmate has 115 on it 21 pitch was to much it ran better with 19,my bass boat would blow out 19, but 21 run's it fine but it can still blow out with rough water, i run 25 pp stainless steel it' all on tach rpm 5500 to 5800 but that a 150 xp v6 it seam's more pitch isn't always better this might help

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Had a 125 Johnny on a 17' gull wing (trihull) glass runabout. Loaded with goodies and the kids, if you wanted to ski, the 19 was all you could handle and 39 was top speed. <br /><br />On a cool winter day alone I could coax 41 out of it. Had the standard OMC teflon coated prop with the inward difuser ring. <br /><br />Since you said you cruise around and ski occasionally, I'd say your current prop is as high as you want to go on pitch. Cruising suggests to me a lot of hull in the water to have to push (not hooked up and barreling down the lake) and obviously hole shotting skiiers is a load. Wouldn't be a bit surprised that your tach is right on based upon my experience with the 125.<br /><br />Mark

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a similar heavy 17.5ft boat, with a 1978 115Hp Johnson. I was running the stock 19pitch Alum. prop that came with the engine for a while and now run a Stiletto 17"pitch prop. The Stiletto prop has a "cupped" design & a good bit of "bite" to it. <br />My 1971 WestWind 180 (Boat) now runs along at 39MPH (GPS) with the Johnson spinning about 5300RPM.<br />I might try a few 15Pitch props this year to water ski with because the wholeshot is a little slow, but not bad, and I tend to run the boat loaded a lot.<br /> GOOD LUCK

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Boilermaker, if you went from an aluminum prop to the Stiletto and didnt raise the motor, youre leaving a lot on the table. Try raising it some. Might save you some $$$ rather than buying a 15". I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Other thing you might do is go to the Michigan Wheel website and read up on props. Might help you to decide how far down you need to go once you get everything else setup.<br /><br />Mark