Evinrude 115...HELP!!!!!

Paul Witt

Seaman
Help me out guys. Sunday my 1999 Evinrude 115 spl would not idle right. It was sputtering and wanted to stall. I took it in....thought it just needed a good tune up. The found the compression was 20psi low in the upper R/H cylinder. Found the cylinder wall gouged and the top of the piston damaged. They suspect one of the rings broke, causing the damage. Here is my options:<br /><br />1. Install new power head.......$4500. With a warranty.<br /><br />2. Bore out the cylinder and install oversized piston. No warranty. Unsure if the .040 piston will take out the damage. Looks like it should. $2500.<br /><br />Any suggestion or comments?

NathanY

Commander
Re: Evinrude 115...HELP!!!!!

Add another 700 to the 4500 and you could buy a 2002 FICHT 115 Evinrude with a manufacturers warranty right here on iBoats.<br /><br />Good Luck with whatever you choose!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like typical coking damage caused in part by improper set up (lugging). Sounds like its only capeable of rpm in the low 5000 range. To help prevent a repeat situation make sure, no matter what route you take, that the rpm is in the upper range on either motor with an average load.<br /><br />Good luck!

schlotterr

Cadet

If you are mechanicaly inclined repair of bad cyl. is not to hard. You can send block out to LA Sleeves and they will resleeve it at a reasonable cost. Caution you need to be mechanicaly inclined to do this. If you dont fix this engine do not trade it in to a dealer they will give you nothing for it. There are lots of small shops like mine that will give you good money for it. GOOD LUCK

Paul Witt

Seaman

Thanks for the info. The WOT is fine. I think I'll go the route of boring out the cylinder. The mechanic thinks it was a manufacturing flaw. If the old Evinrude was still around, I would probably have some warranty since the motor only has about 150 hours on it. But Bombardier, of course, is not honoring any previous warranty work. So I'm screwed. I've been told that the upper right cylinder has always been a problem with the Evinrude. Anybody else ever had this issue?

Paul Witt

Seaman

You know, I've had my share of 2 stroke motorcycles, and I work in the aircraft industry, but by the time I get home, the last thing I want to do is work on my boat engine.