Evinrude 115 Died - Need Help!

Bryant Davis

Cadet
Hello. I have a 1986 115 Evinrude that I need suggestions on. I had the motor completely rebuilt at the end of last summer (New powerhead, carb kits, etc.) and it has run super ever since. I fished all day Saturday in the Bay and it ran perfect. Unloaded it from the trailer this morning and it fired off as normal. Took off across the bay, got about 3 miles out and slowed to idle to adjust GPS. When I went to idle speed the motor died. I tried to restart and it sounded like it wasn't even getting fire. I pulled the hood to check for obvious probs and nothing. After sitting about 10 minutes I tried again and it was trying to start but would never catch. I would play with the warm up lever / choke and could get it to start but would not stay running. When it would fire off, it smoked heavily and sounded rough. (all the signs of being flooded). Finally had to get towed in.<br /><br />Here's what I checked:<br />1. Primer bulb was firm. Tried pumping bulb while cranking. No luck.<br />2. Took center bolt off fuel pump to check screen and pumped bulb, fuel squirted out.<br />3. Took lower screws out of carbs and drained fuel. Reconnected fuel line, pumped bulb and motor would start, run about a minute or two and flood out (or die..whatever it's doing) again.<br />4. Disconnected choke thinking it may be stuck.<br />5. Disconnected and blocked choke fuel supply line thinking fuel may still be passing through choke.<br />6. Verified spark.<br />7. Took fuel pump completely apart to check for trash. Screen / diaghphram were both clean.<br />8. Water line was squirting water both when it would crank, and while starter was turning. I'm pretty certain motor didn't overheat.<br /><br />To me, it acts like it's flooding out. Any ideas why it would suddenly start this, and what might be the prob? In addition, I don't know if this is coincedence or not, but this morning when I first started the engine on the trailer, the warning horn sounded on and off for about a minute. (This is with a cold engine) It would also chirp while attempting to start and it's never done that either.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any and all help!<br />Bryant

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 115 Died - Need Help!

Bryant....<br /><br />What was the exact chirp alarm?<br /><br />I would do a compression check first followed up by a spark test on all cylinders. Lets get that outta the road first before going to fuel. It really sounds ignition related to me.<br /><br />Remember, your spark should jump a 1/2 inch gap with a hot blue spark.<br /><br />Keep us posted...Thanks.

Bryant Davis

Cadet

After running compression test, three cylinders are exactly 130lbs, and one (facing rear of motor bottom left) is 120. I think that is within specs.<br /><br />I dont have a spark tester, but with a screwdriver grouning there appears to be a good, solid spark.<br /><br />The chirp is an fast on-off chirp that follows the crankng of the motor. Never heard it do that before. Always just a single chirp when the key is turned to run.<br /><br />Bryant

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Bryant....<br /><br />The fast chirp indicates a no oil or restricted oil flow to the VRO pump. That is if all is in order with the engine and pump. Here's a couple things.<br /><br />Let the engine set for a while...say like over night and the next day, pull the oil feed hose from the nipple on the engine pan and smell the oil. If you have a strong gas smell, then the seal between the oil and gas parts of the pump is shot. <br /><br />In your first post, you did not mention weather or not the VRO pump has been replaced after the rebuild. The new upgraded VRO pumps have a four wire harness. Do you know how many wires is in your VRO's harness?<br /><br />I am kinda leaning towards a VRO pump problem here.