Evinride RPM range

bass3859

Recruit
I have a 1995 Evinrude 112 SPL. Currently has a 19" pitch prop and I can get 5100 RPM's out of it. What is the max RPM range for this engine?

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Evinride RPM range

Book says 5500, but we like to see 5800 on the 90 deg cross-flows...5500 would be a minumum RPM you would want...5100 is lugging the engine.<br />Welcome to iboats, and I hope this helps ya out!

bass3859

Recruit

Thanks. Prop is a 19" pitch. Looks like I am buying a new prop. I assume that this engine is a 90 degree crossflow?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You are correct on the design. We'd rather see you work with the set up before spending any hard earned $$$ on a new prop. Otherwise you'll still be shooting in the dark.<br /><br />Tell us more about your boat and the set up now.

bass3859

Recruit

Boat is a 17' 1995 Cajun Adventure 170 Fish and Ski. 32 gallon (I think) fuel tank. Don't really know what other info might be helpful, but I will give you what else you might need. The engine does have power tilt/trim, and this is the first time I have had a boat with it. I can get 5100 RPM by trimming the motor, with 2 or 3 200 pound adults and a typical load of fishing equipment. No jack plate so I can't raise or lower without removing bolts, and I don't know enough about that to be comfortable doing that. I did buy another prop (didn't spend a fortune, thank goodness), but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral

The top engine mount bolts are in 1 of 4 holes...what we would try would be to loosen the bottom 2 mounting bolts so the engine will "slide" and carefully remove the top 2 bolts, lift the engine with a floor-jack or a stable platform of some sort, and place the bolts through the next set of holes and secure. re-seal the bottom bolts and secure.<br />We want to reduce lower unit drag as much as possible without causing the prop to ventilate. That being said, some props are more efficient than others.<br />Test this set-up and try 1 hole at a time. I think on that rig, you will be able to use the third holes down with it mounted directly to the transom...if we had a jack-plate, we could do some other things as well.

bass3859

Recruit

I believe the top bolts are in the second set of holes from the top. Not 100% sure. I will check it and if I have time before the weekend, I will try to go to the third set of holes from the top.

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br /> re-seal the bottom bolts and secure.<br />
walleyehed, When you re-seal, what is the recommended sealer? 4200 or Silicone?<br /><br />Thanks. -- Bud

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

Oh, and how much should you tighten down the bolts? <br /><br />Thanks. -- Bud

walleyehed

Admiral

I use a product called "Life-Caulk". It's a product commonly found in marine stores and such.<br />I use standard torque for bolt size plus 5%, and I ALWAYS lube the threads first.