Evin 100hp cooling system diagram

Cortes165

Seaman
I am looking for a breakdown of the cooling system on my engine (1991 #VE100SLEIE).<br />Need to understand how this system works. Coolant flow, etc. I heard there are 2 thermostats. Are these internal eng parts? Wondering if they are the same or if it's some sort of 2 stage system. I have no manual with those nice pictures. Also how can I test these and see if they have ever been changed??<br />Any help you can offer would be great.<br />Thanks in advance.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evin 100hp cooling system diagram

Hi ya' Cortes.<br /><br />Yep, yer engine got two t-stats. They are located under the exhaust cover in sorta oblong cover. Getting to them on a bubble back is a pain.<br /><br />There are two t-stats. One for each head. Also located under the t-stat cover is spring loaded bypass vlv's. These let water flow untill the engine gets hot enough to open the t-stats. <br /><br />You should otta get a manual. OEM for sure. Check the two sites out below for manuals.<br /><br /> http://ww3.kencook.com/evinrudejohnsonmanuals/ <br /><br /> http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/evinrude/order_pre-1980.html <br /><br />If ya' can't get the manual, drop me a note at outboardjim@comcast.net and I'll see if I can find a picture or two for ya'.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evin 100hp cooling system diagram

If you look at the base of the heads you will see a rubber hose going from the bottom of each head to the t-stat cover. This is a job that the non professional driveway mechanic can do but as OBJ said it is a pain as the bolts for the t-stat cover are difficult to get to. You may have to drop the pan at the base of the motor a bit and go at it from underneath. I found a long exetnsion (12" or longer) 1/4" drive 7/16" socket with a universal plus a 7/16" open/box combo to work. You will have to rig something to hold the parts together on reassembly. I used rubber bands.<br /><br />I would not try this without the manual.<br /><br />Also I would not bother to test what is in there since the job issuch a pain to begin with.<br /><br />By the way I got an estimate from a shop to do mine and he wanted $200 in labor and told me that he would pull the powerhead to get access. Forget that.<br /><br />By the way -- By the way - - This is an easy job to do if you have to pull the powerhead for any reason & I would replace the t-stats whether I thought they needed them or not.<br /><br />By the way - - By the way - - By the way - - cussin helps.