Evil Case of Vapor Lock

bones1918

Cadet
I'm new to owning a boat, and like most new boaters on the cheap, I started by buying somone else's floating problem. Mine is a 1975 70 HP evinrude outboard pushing a light 16 footer. It starts as soon as I click the key if she's been sitting a few days, but if its been running and I throw anchor to go fishing or tie up on the dock for a beer, it is really difficult to restart. My best guess is vapor lock . How do i fix it?<br /><br />To give you some more history:<br />1. the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner about a year and a half ago. Every part looks clean; there is no grime anywhere on the head or block.<br /><br />2. I run her pretty rich. It's 30 years old and was just rebuilt, so i figure err on the side of 55:1 or 60:1<br /><br />3. She ran like a champ at last season, and runs fantastic as long as I start it cold. Idles great, runs very strong wide open, doesn't sputter at trolling speads, etc.<br /><br />4. The engine has a dedicated battery<br /><br />5. when I finally do get it started warm, it plumes quite a bit of white smoke. Is this because it was flooded and not vapor locked? could it be both? or is it just because the fuel is so rich.<br /><br />I appreciate all of your suggestions.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Evil Case of Vapor Lock

when you do the restart,exactly what do you do besides turn the key ?<br /><br />55:1 and 60 :1 is actualy less oil,But I think you are going the other way.It's parts of gas to parts of oil.<br /><br />DHP

bones1918

Cadet

Right with the ratio.. im going with 18 or so oz's per 6 gallons where 16oz would give me 50:1.<br /><br />As for my exact starting routine, I'll turn the key with the choke lever down (not choked), let it go for 3 or 4 seconds where it cranks but doenst fire.. not even a sputter. it merely cranks. I'll do that a few more times, then click the choke switch. still nothing. Then illl try it once with the choke lever up, (there is both a lever and a switch) nothing again. By then I've decided its flooded and I wait 10 mins and try it all over again.<br /><br />Consequently, at the suggestion of a freind i added some fuel treatment to today's tank, the type of thing one would add to absorb water in the gas or consedsation in the carb or bore. about 4 hours passed between when i shut it off and when i restarted, but it restarted fine.. no hesitation at all.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Step one ... squeeze the primer bulb until firm.<br /><br />Step 2 ... raise the warm up lever (it is not a choke lever).<br /><br />Step 3 ...apply the choke switch,and hold it on.<br /><br />Step 4 ... crank the motor ... release the choke switch when running ... lower the warm up lever.<br /><br />DHP

CATransplant

Admiral

DHPMarine,<br /><br />I think he's talking about hot starts, not cold ones.<br /><br />Bones,<br /><br />Where's the throttle during these warm starts? You might try lifting the warm-up lever or opening the throttle a tad, but not using the choke on warm starts.<br /><br />Lots of engines don't like starting hot when the throttle's set at idle position.