Eveyone read this, Please

bluemist

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to the board and previously posted about my engine temperature creeping at idle. Up to an uncomfortable level, rev it up and cools right off. I have seen other posts regarding this same problem in one form or another. Turns out my parts supplier had told me merc no longer makes the 143 stat for raw water cooled engines and to use a 140 conventional. To make a long story short. In all of the posts like mine I have never seen anyone mention that not having the exact 143 (which OSCO makes) will result in this problem. This tstat is high flow and opens in a different manner also has a weep hole to allow bleed. My problem may be unique to the raw water alpha 1 system, which is what I have. But I thought this was too important not to share. I have had this problem for three consecutive years and threw so many parts at it its not funny.<br />Good Luck <br />AL

bluemist

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Eveyone read this, Please

BTW problem fixed.<br />Sits at 130 at idle and 145 under way.<br />Thanks to all the responses.<br />AL

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and thats why I only use OEM stuff, works right first time everytime.<br /> I quit using aftermarket stuff for the most part years ago. the OEM stuff costs a bit more but its worth it.<br /> last one I ordered I got the 143 from merc.<br /> they later EFI saltwater motors use a 160*.<br /> boats typically do not have a coolant bypass like a car and have constant cold water feed them, without any bleeds the block tends to get hot before the water at the t-stat housing does.<br /> the t-stat on a raw water cooled rig works a lot more than a closed cooling rig and requires more frequent inspections/replacements.<br /> in the past 30 years of doing this work I have seen about everything tried and years ago came to the conclusion the easiest and cheapest way out was by using factory parts not universal might fit most stuff.<br /> glad your issue is resolved.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by paulie0735:<br /> ....cept for the brake pads on ya truck... hehehe :) :) :)
(Mutley Snicker!) Priceless! :D

KaGee

Admiral

I totally understand why Rod, Don and the rest of the Pros use OEM parts when available. <br /><br />Bluemist, your situation is one of those deals that OEM was a requirement. Happens a lot with autos as well. However, to refer that ALL aftermarket parts are inferior is a bogus assumption. Unlike the "old" days, when OEM's actually manufactured a lot of their own parts for assembly as well as aftermarket sales, today so much is out-sourced. It's these same second tier manufacturers that also produce a lot of aftermarket parts sold under third part names.

Dunaruna

Admiral

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

oops, apoligies rodbot, getting ya mixed up with bondo......... damn thought i had him for a sec there.

Mile-High Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's okay, paulie - rodbolt probably DOES use aftermarket pads on his truck! :D Now where the heck is Bondo, while we're talking behind his back at oh-God! o'clock in the morning? :cool:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

On my stuff it may be not only aftermarket but used aftermarket :) :) .<br /> however when getting paid by a customer to repair his rig its 99% factory. sometimes the OEM stuff gets a redesign or update that the aftermarket stuff does not get.<br /> look at the life span difference between an aftermarket fuel primer and a factory yamaha one.<br /> to many times the aftermarket or cross referenced stuff will physically fit but not work correctly.<br />as for after market its a matter of experience, I will install aftermarket power packs and switch boxes on mercs and jonnie's.<br />OEM has a 90 day warrenty and most aftermarket is a year and I know its gonna fail again.<br />I have had problems with some aftermarket gaskets and some t-stats and no longer use them.<br /> in general if you buy it OEM and the parts guy looked it up and checked for supersessions it fits right first time every time.