Ever plant bare root trees?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I planted 15 bare root evergreens from the local tree farm. Got 5 Norway spruce at 6', and 10 Blue Spruce, all but 3 are 5-6', the rest are 4-5'. After picking out the trees, they dug them out with a front end loader w/modified bucket, then we roll the tree to knock off the dirt until light enough to pick up. Tied to pickup and headed home to plant.<br /><br />Followed their directions for planting (fill hole with water and dirt to make soupy mix, place tree in soup, add more dirt and water to cover roots). <br /><br />Ever do this before? Not used to bare root planting. Usually get trees with ball from garden center. Wondering what the survival rate is. Man, oh man, am I tired.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ever plant bare root trees?

I've planted several hundred bare root seedlings with a tractor and a row planter and a few hundred more with a shovel. Both implements simply make a slit in the ground into which the tree is inserted to the proper depth and the slit pushed closed. We always worked on overcast days and with rain in the near forecast. The key to survival is keeping the roots moist at all times during planting. <br /><br />I've planted a few larger bare root fruit trees and a couple dozen 2" dai. White Pines and did like you did in the hole but will add that I poked and vibrated the soil and water to eliminate as many air pockets as I could.<br /><br />I've had very good survival with bare root trees, over 95% survived easily, although I always planted in Spring.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Several hundred here too.<br />In spring.<br />Usually didn't add water because that was to much work, no water on site, or too far to carry.<br />Largest I planted were 3' pines and spruce, and 6' maples.<br /><br />I planted many more than needed, thinking there would be die off in the summer heat or the -25* winters. Most all survived, but lost a bunch of white spruce for some reason. Now I have too many trees, too close together.<br /><br />Anybody need a Christmas tree?

Originally posted by Mark42:<br />Ever plant bare root trees?
Only by the acre! ;) The key to survival with bare root is not to allow the roots to be exposed to air too long. Trees should be in a dormant stage, but with evergreen I don't know when that would be. The longer the roots are exposed the lower the survival rate. DO NOT OVER WATER.