Ever here of this?

frroog000

Cadet
A friend of mine told that he uses AT transmission fluid to de-card his motor. He does this by pouring it into into the carbs.<br />Just wondering if any one else does this

KRS

Banned
Re: Ever here of this?

Hello, welcome, nice signature (I think?), and good question, hope someone knows.

ZmOz

Captain

Just about any liquid you pour down your intake will decarb an engine. There are much better things than transmission fluid, such as seafoam. Transmission fluid is likely VERY bad for catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.

frroog000

Cadet

Hey, In my line of work I get asked about the "dark meat" in grind at least once a week.<br /><br />He does this with his OB and his cars

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

AT fluid is an old trick used on diesel engines to clean injectors by adding some to the fuel tank. <br /><br />Marvel Mystery Oil was rumored to be kerosene and transmission fluid mixed.<br /><br />Years ago I used to pour water into a carb of an engine to clear the carbon and it was a common trick.<br /><br />I agree w/ZmOz and seafoam is far safer for decarbing. Chevron with Techron is great for injectors.

heycods

Captain

I used to pour diesel down the carb, with the engine running I would take a coke bottle full of dieesel and start pouring it down the carb slowly increasing throttle as the motor smothered down, when I finished pouring it in the throttle would be wide open and the engine would be so smothered out it would just barely be running. Then take it out on the highway and run the he!! out of it.<br /> It was a good way to clean the carbon out of the little old ladys sutted up cars.<br /> I remembet doing the treatment to one old ladys 58 chev with a 348 in it. when I first took it out it would run 45mph, after treatment it ran over 100, so I know it will clean carbon deposits, I just dont know how it will affect cytallic converters.<br /><br /> If you try that on one that is carboned up, be sure to change oil and filter afterwards, and soon again after that.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Back when gas had lead in it stuff like this was a common practice. We use to do it like heycods explained except we would use water.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

pretty much anything you put in the gas is gonna muck up teh CAT, even the fuel injection cleaners that say they are OK will push everything that they "clean" out into the fuel and out the tailpipe

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

It does work, but you don't need a lot and you only need to do it once every few years on older vehicles. I don't see much need to do it to any newer vehicle with under 100,000 miles. <br /><br />Another trick I have used a lot to clean engines out. Drain all the oil and let it drip. Replace oil filter. Fill up with deisel fuel and run for 5 miles or so. Then drain and let drip for an hour or so. Replace oil filter, fill with oil and go. <br /><br />The problem with dumping diesel in the carb is it won't burn completely with the heat of a cylinder. The fuel that is unburnt sits on top of the piston and burns slowly or leaks past the rings. I know one man who accidentaly put deisel from his farm barrel into his car instead of gas. He put about 5 galons in the gas tank when he realized his mistake. He then finished filling with gas and drove it that way. It ran like usual. A week or so later when he changed the oil he had deisel fuel in the oil. <br />The car stopped burning oil and ran better after that.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by deputydawg:<br />Another trick I have used a lot to clean engines out. Drain all the oil and let it drip. Replace oil filter. Fill up with deisel fuel and run for 5 miles or so.
Oh gawd...please tell me this is a joke. The only quicker way to ruin every bearing in your engine would be to fill it with water.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Deisel has enough of a lubricating property that it works. I have done it to several high mile engines with no negative outcomes. Last one was a 1974 Ford 351M. Burned oil until I did that. After the oil pressure ran better and it stopped burning oil.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by deputydawg:<br /> Deisel has enough of a lubricating property that it works.
No, it most certainly does not. Idling with pure diesel would be very bad, actually driving somewhere is extremely bad. Alot of the cheap engine flushes are basically just a quart of diesel or kerosene, with them you only add 1 quart to the rest of your oil and the bottle clearly forbids driving anywhere. Most experts agree that even this is a bad idea. Pure diesel will, with 100% certainty, cause damage do your bearings, among other things.<br /><br />I ran my 150hp outboard for about 10 minutes without oil. After that it seemed fine from the outside, and I probably could have sold it and the buyer would never known. $2000 later, I can assure you, it wasn't fine, or even close to it. A car engine that doesn't have needle bearings would be in even worse condition. Just because the engine didn't blow up doesn't mean it works or is even close to safe.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> Glad to see ya found something else to argue about Z.
Glad to see you keep adding useful information to technical discussions. :rolleyes:

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I have done the tranny fluid de carb and it works. I have also done the deisel in a sludged up engine but I didn't drive it. I let it run for about 5 minutes though. It worked also. Hows that buddy?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Depends on the dfinition of driving 5 miles I guess. Before I moved to town my 5 mile drive was down a dirt road to the corner and back. Top speed maybe 30. I am not saying jumping on the freeway at 70mph.

brother chris

Commander

I have never heard of any of this before. <br />If any of my friends would have mentioned ANY of these ideas you guys have just mentioned....I would have told them they are nuts!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

It is nutty, but it does work. Would I do it to a modern vehicle with cats/FI/way too many sensors? Heck no! Would I do it to grandpa's farm truck? In a second! People make fun of rednecks and hillbillies and their ways. What city folk don't realize is that people from the country have made do forever. I've done so much for so long with so little that I can damn near do anything with nothing.

magster65

Commander

I'm not a fan of de-carbing and I wouldn't do it to any of my engines. I'd rather spend a few bucks and get some fuel additives.