Evenrude-Electrical

stoneagent

Cadet
I am re-doing a pontoon boat. I thought I marked all the wiring but missed two. This is a 70 HP engine.

First off I have a large wiring harness bundle coming out of the bottom of Controls that goes to the engine.

There is a small harness coming out of the bottom of the controls with purple gray and blace that goes to the tach.

There is a separate set of wires that are not bundled but are taped together that are red green and blue. Each of these has a white tracer. Along with these are the tan and black with a white tracer. (Which are my problem wires.) These five wires go to the engine and terminate in a plug. The red, green and blue go off to the top of engine somewhere. The black goes to the engle ground and the tan goes into another plug that become a white with tan tracer that goes down to the lower unit to some relay or switch. Don't know what it does.

Back at the captains console the black and tan wires have a screw connector end. So I figured they go to an instrament or they could go to the controls. I lookerd at the switch and all the terminals are dark as if some coating was put on them. The tan and black terminals do not have the same coating..I figured they didn't go to the key switch or on the shifter because of that. Do they go to the guages?

The tach zeros out when you key turned on and I hear the solenoid engage with key on and push to choke.

The motor is a 70 HP I do not know age. I looked for serial number on port side mounting bracket but could not find. Is it on the mounting bracket attached to boat? Or on part the raises and lowers and swivels?

I did get the engine to turn over now.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evenrude-Electrical

we first need to know what motor. look for a plug like this,
MVC-859S-1.jpg

also plate should be on transom motor, boat part. you are going to need and oem manual with wiring diagram.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

And purple gray and black harness is universal for OMC - that's your tachometer wiring. The black (-) and purple (+) wires are from the ignition switch, the gray wire (sender) come through the main harness from the engine's terminal block and is wired direct to the tachometer harness.

The three wire with tracers and two wire set is for the power tilt and trim control on the throttle arm, and the trim gauge, respectively.

stoneagent

Cadet

Where does the tan and black wire hook up to at the navigation console. Do they hook to guages or do they hook to OMC gear/gas shift or to key switch?

Yukon Mike

Cadet

I have been doing some re wireing on my brand new second hand boat that has a 70 horse Evenrude, the tan wire coming out of mine is connected to a temp sensore that connects to the horn somehow, which sounds the horn if it's overheating.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

BLACK with TAN = Trim SENDER isolated ground. (Goes to "G" on your trim gauge.)