Ethical Question

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lets say you fix computers for a living and a lady brings you a computer that she wants you to clean up for her daughter to take away to school with her. While you're working on the computer, you notice the daughter has been looking up things like "head shop" and "glass bowl" on the internet.<br /><br />The search was definitely done while the daughter was logged in, but there is no way to be sure that she was the one that did the search. Her login is not password protected and the whole family used to use the computer. Honestly, it could have been one of her friends that might have been over.<br /><br />Do you say something to the mom or just forget about it?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Ethical Question

The lady didnt ask you for that info, so I wouldnt divulge it.<br /><br /><br />Ken

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

privacy is part of what makes america great and free...........ill bet most people consider privacy to be a big part of freedom,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,quit letting these questionable imigrants in that are causing all these new freedom breeching laws....down with the feminazis

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Is the daughter an adult????<br /><br />Maybe the daughter was tryin to find out info about something Mom has been doing. :eek: <br /><br />To many "What Ifs".<br /><br />SHHHHHHHHH

ZmOz

Captain

"head shop" and "glass bowl", hell no. "snorting crack" and "making meth", yes. There's a big difference. Head shops and glass bowls are perfectly legal...especially for a daugher old enough to go away to school. ;)

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

if i might say, id let it go. but its good that your concerned. like reel poor said theres to many what ifs.

Skinnywater

Commander

Glass bowls, pot and drugs can be gotten by a young girl at a moments notice.<br />It's the mom that might need a more comprehensive search.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah - I was thinking the same thing as everyone else ... just wondered what other people would do...<br /><br />Besides..I'm not saying anything about the ... uh...things ... the brother was looking at. :) :p

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

head shop & glass bowl are pretty benign, what if you do happen upon "how to make a bomb" or "how to freebase cocaine"? Might want to check with your lawyer, in case you got a legal question in addition to the ethical one. Is there a such thing as "geek-client confidentiality"? :)

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

The way I look at it is, the mum paid you to clean up the computer and that it. Maybe she already know and beside it is not your position as a computer guy to let her know what her daughter is doing. That is my $0.02 worth.

magster65

Commander

No offence intended but I don't think it's any of your business at all. PC's are just that... Personal Computers. If you were a 'booksmith' and you were fixing the bindings in her diary. Would you read it and then tell others what you read? I didn't think so. In this circumstance it's best to carry on and forget about it.<br /><br />jtexas, that's funny :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea, you are a cleaning party, not a reporting party.<br />That falls under some privacy act I know.<br /><br />Plus it might make the mom mad that you looked and not just cleaned.

SpinnerBait_Nut

P.S. If there was anything juicy on there, email it to me. :D

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For the record - it's not that I was snooping - sometimes you can't help seeing things..

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Well Im not saying that I would or wouldnt tell but........for those of you with teens or kids how would you feel if your kid was doing drugs and a responsable adult knew they were but didnt let you know. Sometimes you have make your choices with your heart not your mind and that can be very unPC..........maybe a anonimous note?

dolluper

Captain

Clean it up and make a note of what you cleaned up and give it to the mother.Sort of like a profesional clean up report.

SpinnerBait_Nut

He stated it was not password protected so if he says something he could begin to open up a whole can of worms.<br /><br />Anyone could have done the search while it was on.<br />Maybe go with dolluper, give it a cleaning report as to what was wiped off it.