Ethanol problems

Jerry81C

Cadet
Hello,
There are 3 of us in the office with different motors merc,johnson,and yamaha.
Vermont this year has gone to the 10% ethanol in all gas. Now we are all having problems. The lines,filters have been changed. The motors are 2 strokes and are from new to older. Has anyone run into problems...boat runs for a few then shuts down. We can only attribute it to the ethanol 3 motors, different gas, same problems????? The local shops are seeing this more and more but no one has a solution. Thanks for any input.

Jerry

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ethanol problems

this has happen in every state, when the change took place. get good at cleaning an rebuilding the carbs. once the ethanol gets all the curd broken loose, the situation will improve. it has taken several cleanings on some motors. a fuel/water canister type filter helps also.

Jerry81C

Cadet

Thanks tashasdaddy,
I searched the site for ethanol and found a lot of information about it but not much specific to boats.....2 strokes. I'm in the process of rebuilding a Johnson 4hp-2cyl so everything is getting cleaned and I'll see how well it does. Since the ethanol is such a good solvent any idea what it is doing to the 2cycle mix? Should the ratio be adjusted.
Jerry

Jacksonville....great fishing area was born there myself

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

use the same mixture. also clean the tank well, and the new hoses.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yet another Oh My God, ethanol screwed up my engine. No -- ethanol cleaned your engines fuel system which very likely has been neglected for years. Replace the filters, rebuild the carbs to extract the crap that has built up and now been loosened, and go boating. You do not need to adjust the fuel/oil ratio. Just so you know -- we in the midwest have used ethanol blended fuel since 1997 with no ill effects other than what I just covered. The techs at most shops love this because they have something new to blame to so they can get into your wallets. Had you treated the fuel in the past you would not have had the problem initially and if you treat it in the future your will also not have an issue. Since you are on the coast, you would also be advised to install a water separating fuel filter and keep the tank full (and treated) when not in use. SeaFoam and Stabil are just two good fuel system treatments. If you happen to have a two-stroke that has never been de-carbed (as in decarboned -- not de-carbureted) SeaFoam is an excellent product for that. Procedures are all over this forum. Do a search on "Decarb".

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

How to cure: (in order)
1.) Scratch you head.
2.) Rebuild carbs, change fuel filter, change fuel pumps, install new fuel line, change plugs.
3.) Scratch head some more...
4.) Drain fuel tank, clean, re-install, change filter again, check plugs.
5.) Scratch head some more.......
6.) Install NEW (fuel tank, elec fuel pump, regulator, canister water seperator filter, new line again, 3 different carbs "rebuilt", new reeds, new plugs, new wires, another computer, new coils, check grounds, wiring, and replace ALL electronic parts, and New oil injector pump. (it's best to have a few parts engines laying around).
7.) Beat head against side of boat.
8.) Replace powerhead.
10.) Back off the throttle a bit and deal with it.
11.) Find out a whole community of 2-stroke high rpm users are experiencing the same problems to such an extent that repair shops can't keep up.

Can't be the fuel. Must just global warming?

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

How to cure: (in order)
1.) Scratch you head.
2.) Rebuild carbs, change fuel filter, change fuel pumps, install new fuel line, change plugs.
3.) Scratch head some more...
4.) Drain fuel tank, clean, re-install, change filter again, check plugs.
5.) Scratch head some more.......
6.) Install NEW (fuel tank, elec fuel pump, regulator, canister water seperator filter, new line again, 3 different carbs "rebuilt", new reeds, new plugs, new wires, another computer, new coils, check grounds, wiring, and replace ALL electronic parts, and New oil injector pump. (it's best to have a few parts engines laying around).
7.) Beat head against side of boat.
8.) Replace powerhead.
10.) Back off the throttle a bit and deal with it.
11.) Find out a whole community of 2-stroke high rpm users are experiencing the same problems to such an extent that repair shops can't keep up.

Can't be the fuel. Must just global warming?
LOL, man you just described how my whole fishing season has gone. Only thing is i have what i think is a heat soak problem. Ah heck i'll just blame it on the ethanol too.:D