ethanol fuel

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice
Does any one know anything about this E-85 ethanol fuel. A gas station in the area has it, with a list of vehicles that are approved for this fuel. What I want to know is what is different about these "ethanol approved engines" compared to other engines.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: ethanol fuel

They're designed to compensate for the different fuel. If you just put it into a vehicle not designed for it the engine will run way too lean.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I know that GM sells engines that are designed for E-85 or gasoline. They are considered to be flex fuel engines. I believe Ford has followed suit and also has flex fuel vehicles.<br /><br />Bob

Realgun

Commander

D Grass I used E-85 a lot in my Ranger 3.0L.<br />Matter of fact I used it to get my boat in Minnesota and back to Albuquerque. The only state I could not get E-85 was Kansas of all places!<br /><br />Heres my experiences.<br />Milage was less with E-85.<br />Normally I was getting 19.5 mpg every tank of Gasoline. On E-85 I got 16.7 mpg.<br /><br />The deal is when I got the boat and was towing I had Just filled with E-85 and got 13 mpg. I had to get a tank of gas and was getting 11 mpg.<br />This was consistant too.<br /><br />As to how the truck ran you can tell you were using E-85 cause you had a bit more power.<br />I have heard of cold start problems and hot start problems with E-85 I had no issues and like I said there were not differences ecept a bit more power and a bit less milage.<br /><br />Now heres the kicker the guy that sells E-85 here charges $.10 more a gallon than for regular and hes is usually higher on that as compared to other sellers.<br /><br />I really liked E-85 but the wife got mad cause I was paying so much for it and getting less milage.<br />Unless I was towing the boat. :)

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

E-85 10 cents more???? That hasn't been the case for a while now. E-85 is 30 cents a gallon cheaper right now in MN. Almost makes it economical.

Realgun

Commander

Ah but this is not MN it is NM the land of Enchantment and there is only two pumps for E-85 in the entire state. 1 in Albuquerque and 1 in Santa Fe. the guy in Santa Fe charges the same for either E-85 or regular. If I lived in MN I would have used E-85 all the time!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Funny thing, no E-85 fuel anywhere near here that I know of, but Ford dealer sells plenty of flex-fuel cars. Must be an EPA thang.

TilliamWe

Banned

Ya'll need to move to Illinois, we have plenty of E-85 pumps, and the prices in Central IL are much less than unleaded. (almost 30 cents)<br />I don;t think Ford followed suit. As it seems to me, i saw the FFV badges on Fords long before I even heard GM offered it on the 5.3 V-8.

Realgun

Commander

The cost is the same for Ford weather its FFV or not so they do it for a few of the lines Taurus and Ranger are the most done.<br />There are only a few changes needed.<br /><br />1. Stainless steal tank.<br />2. Fuel mixture sensor to determine the Ethanol content of fuel<br />3. Ethanol resistant plastics on all fuel components Lines, injectors, etc...<br /><br />The exhausts systems already SS.