Ethanol and the warm fuzzies!!

hismajst

Seaman Apprentice
I installed a new fuel filter (in line style) at the beginning of the season and it ran without a hitch till labor day weekend. I filled up at a local Conoco and took off for the lake. During what was only 10 consecutive hours on the meter I changed out the filter 2 x's!! Each time I noticed a strangely familiar enemy of mine that I have been battling in the diesel field for 3 years now. Yep, it was bacteria!!! Today I completely drained my tank and flushed it best I could. I kept the fuel and took it to Caterpillar (they owed me one!) for analysis. Sure enough,the little fungi colony is alive and well in my fuel! SOB!! This linc gives a better description of what is going on.
http://www.debugamericalatina.com/bacteria-in-diesel.html
I know I know, it focuses on diesel, but what I have in my boat fuel cell is the same thing. I guess condensation in the fuel tank is what feeds the little critters. Whatever they are they are having a party in my tank! Gonna let it dry out for awhile and see if it isn't under control. Talked with the local boat repair shop and they said they have had to rebuild 6 engines this season due to ethanol, and had to flush the tank on one of them cause bacteria had taken it over. Any of you guys run into this yet??

87blf125

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Ethanol and the warm fuzzies!!

no, the only problem i ran into with ethanol is my motor never wanted to start when i ran it, now i only get gas at places without ethanol and have no problems. but i am suprised at all the people who don't know better and can't figure out why there boats run like crap.

hismajst

Seaman Apprentice

No doubt! Problem in my area is getting petrol without ethanol is impossible!! It's always got the %10 ethanol content. Ive looked everywhere.:(

87blf125

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i can only get it around hear in the higher octane gas i only have 3 stations in my town that have no ethanol in there premium gas and one that has none in there 87 octane. i am not sure how the additives work that you put in the gas that is supose to stop the problems, but i know stabil makes something. not sure how it works though?