ETEC - good out of warranty proposition?

scottfromoz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all. I have a 93 Yammy 115 V4 2 stroke that hasnt ever missed a beat. One day though I might go for a power upgrade to 175 or 200. If I do I would consider a new tech motor - and I like the principle of the ETEC. My question though is whether they are really going to be a nightmare out of warranty with 1500 odd psi injection pressures and extra lean burn... Its like modern Turbo Diesel motors in Four Wheel Drives (SUV over with you fellas) - incredibly high injection pressures and where injectors with built in pump and piezzo injection set up costs a bomb ($1500 Aud or so EACH injector).

I know that, realistically, a modern motor with the gear referred to above, computer mapping (as opposed to a relatively simply HEI ignition system such as that on my Yammy) and sensor's etc must mean that it will be more expensive to run, parts wise (I dont do that many hours per year to talk fuel savings) and labour wise (whenever you have sensors your talking parts of a volt in feedback so even a slightly corroded earth can cause nagging problems to find) than an older tech motor, but how much worse would it be?

I would appreciate answers from either actual experience of these motors, or from outboard mechanics or similar rather than speculative answers from ETEC lovers or bashers...

Cheers

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: ETEC - good out of warranty proposition?

I think when you are talking modern high hp injection parts cost are pretty much relative to the technology.No motor is 100% when it comes to out of warranty repair.The Etec seems to have an excellent policy and they surely can perform.It also appears they have had a relatively smooth introduction.If a person was investing the kind of money for with these
new motors they would expect repair may be costly.I think all brands of the high tech motors would have horror stories abounding if they were excessively problematic as they age.I haven't seen or heard anything that amounts to wide spread problems for any of these motors.No question they are expensive to repair,even the old carbed motors shop rates are killers.The carbed motors do have the advantage that the backyard mechanic can keep them going.However as time goes by and tech info and supplies for these high tech motors improve
more and more home repairs will be possible.After all many maintain their high tech cars themselves today and infact many of the younger guys are confused by the old technology both for cars and outboards.I think to some a distributor or carb are mystical contraptions.
If you think about it Replacing 4 injectors is probably easier than rebuilding
a carburator.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Granted that the physical replacement of injectors is low enough on the 'difficulty' scale, however...........

Calibration of the computer processor to the fuel capabilities of each individual injector requires a laptop and the correct cord to connect AND the disc that should come witih each injector.

If you are seriously thinking about investion in technology, by all means, get 'THE BOOK' and do a bit of reading. The proper tools and proceedures really does lower the 'difficulty' scale. Without, you risk damaging a very finely tuned engine.

You CAN do this!

scottfromoz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks fellas - what is the cost of the injector's though? Again if the new TD engines are anything to go by the cost of even one injector (if its the pump in injector type in particular) will be horrendous....same goes for MAF sensor, O2 sensors etc (I assume that they must have these things to get the mix right) - wow, the costs on those items for motor vehicles is out of control. Where talking enough money for just a MAF sensor that would buy you a Holley double pumper...

Cheers

johnrude

Seaman Apprentice

The list price on a 2008 200HP ETEC injector is $534.65.. Like stated above you need the software to install it. As for high pressure the ETEC is one of the lowest when it comes to fuel rail pressure. As for the sensors on the engine I think the most expensive is probley about $90.00.. The ECU is a tad over 1,000.00.. Also the ECU is a part you cannot just swap out.

No matter what brand outboard you purchase today they have parts that cost a arm and a leg. Making outboards clean for the EPA cost alot of money. I do believe that if you compare cost between outboard companys you will find they probley average out to be the same except for Yamaha. They have always been over the top with there part prices.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

some injectors you can get them rebuild at a specialty shop.
i dont think there are shops around ho can do the E-tec injestor simple because they need to be calibrated. that information go's on a disk and has to be downloaded into the EMM.

so the question is do you have the software $$$$
new injector @500 a piece

or get a motor that you can get the injecter rebuild for less than 100 dollars.
no software needed to install.(But recomended)

good luck