Eska Motor ID and Info

FirePro911

Cadet
Have had this motor for years sitting up in attic. I have been searching Google for the past 3 days looking to try and ID it.

There is no model number on it or a tag by the carb. I am going to tear it down to the last nut and bolt to fully restore as it has become a hobby of mine. So I am looking for some more info on it for the restoration.

Pretty sure it is a 5hp, early 70's. Here are the pics with questions and I can take more pics and/or measurements if it will help out.

Cowing and as you can see, someone had painted it blue. I cannot see any trace of the original decals under the paint.
motor-14.jpg

motor-13.jpg

Top of carb
motor-12.jpg

Though I believe motor is factory green, it looks as though the tank has been painted at one time to try and match the motor. Notice the runs on it?
motor-11.jpg

motor-10.jpg

motor-9.jpg

FirePro911

Cadet
Re: Eska Motor ID and Info

motor-8.jpg

The part between the carb and the intake throws me off as I have not seen a photo to match it up to.
motor-7.jpg

The front plate is not vented like the ones I have seen that matches the silver, blue and red colors on it. I did find one front plate that matches it, but the motor was blue.
motor-6.jpg

motor-5.jpg

motor-4.jpg

Only numbers I have found on motor so far.
motor-3.jpg

FirePro911

Cadet

motor-2.jpg

Again, I have been trying to match this front cover to one that is painted green also. Plus I have not seen many green ones, mostly the blue ones.
motor-1.jpg

I'm also confused on the Ted Williams. I've read that he made motors like the Eska, that he had Eska make motors which he sold to Sears and that Sears came up with the name Ted Williams to sell some motors under that name as well as the Sears name.

So any info on exactly what type I have would be great. Like I said, I can take more pics, take it apart for any pics, measure anything to help.

I see a ton of info and parts out there for them, so this project will be fun. I will break it down all the way and go back with all stainless nuts and bolts, sandblast each part and most likely powder coat parts. Plus I always document the full break down and rebuild with pics.

FirePro911

Cadet

Thanks, that is the one I saw on eBay. Notice the vents are open on it and mine are closed?

I will start researching the ones sold under Eska again and see if I missed anything.

M

mrcrabs

There were many names the Eska was built under but none the less their all Eska;s
However I think I would give that one back to the sea from whence it came or get after it and retore it to the John Deer look, I have seen Johndeer painted Eska's before and they fetch a better dolla in Iowa :faint2:

FirePro911

Cadet

Believe me, when I am done it will look new again. Gotta figure out if it came green or blue. If it was repainted green, they did a great job and must have actually sandblasted it first as there is no trace of blue.

M

mrcrabs

I got a partial list of resellers but honestly can't remember any that shade of green, I have seen repaints like I said in John Deer green and it may even be although the eska colors on the faceplate kind of give it away unless there add ons,
well good luck and I hope it brings you joy, mine time I spend with the old outboards are my restful moments....or should say mindless moments. don;t froget to post some pictures so we can all watch.

Merry Christmas
D

just looked back at the pics....thats franken motor....4 shades of green...lol

Last edited:

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Believe me, when I am done it will look new again. Gotta figure out if it came green or blue. If it was repainted green, they did a great job and must have actually sandblasted it first as there is no trace of blue.

You might have a frankenmotor. Western Auto might have sold rebranded Eska motors with the Wizard brand that were painted green, but not with that hood. Of course the hood from an Eska would fit...

FirePro911

Cadet

HAHA! Well I will frankenmotor it again with a new paint color as well as everything else. Pics will come as I said, I document all my restorations with lots of detailed pics.

Here is an early '50s Pflueger Reel I redid for my Captain at the Fire Station a few weeks ago. He found it in his Dad's garage after he passed away. This is only three of the 33 pics in my album.

Before
Pflueger-2.jpg

All the parts after I cleaned and polished them.
Pflueger-28.jpg

After with an Ad I found on Google.
Pflueger-33.jpg

mrxshun

Recruit

I have this exact motor though in better shape. The cover is original white and the motor and body are all original blue. Im trying to find the year, heres my post. Hi, I recently bought an old eska 5 hp outboard #s T-643-05b 6475088 Anyone tell me what year it is? Also, I notice water spurting as it runs, does it have an impeller?

M

mrcrabs

Please start a new thread of your own and you wil get a answer